Sunglasses for driving

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
The Stig does not recommend Polarized lenses as he says in page 31 of his book titled How To Drive the ultimate guide-from the man who was The Stig. Came across this again for the 3rd time as tend to read and hopefully absorb some of his wise words.

"Avoid at all costs polarized sunglasses . I don't know who invented them or why,but they ruin your ability to judge perspective and are totally unsuitable for driving"

FWIW this is what I use and have had them for way longer than TG was even thought of.
http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/Sunglasses/Products/Large-Aviator.aspx?product=5222 non polarized lens

Last edited:
Visual perception is a very personal thing. Polarised lenses are very adept at reducing planar reflections, this is indeed their primary purpose. I've not actually worn sunglasses at all since about 1990.

What puzzles me more is the people who don sunglasses at dusk on an overcast evening.

I find it works best with brown coloured lenses, they still let you see colours like traffic lights whereas the dark blue/grey lenses don’t. I also prefer glasses with one-piece nose bridge, not the little legs with plastic tips which dig into your nose if wearing them for a few hours.

Sunglasses are a more serious issue if you’re driving in places like OZ or the US rather than in the UK. In Virginia quite often it snows and then the sun comes out, it’s dazzling bright and you have to wear shades even though the tip of your nose (and ear) is freezing, same with Colorado. In the UK if it snows it’s likely to remain grey and overcast all day.

In Florida, specially if you’re on the water you need good sunglasses. I was given a pair of Ray Bans from an ex-Coastguard that were almost black top and bottom (to deal with the reflection off the water) and only a small horizontal line that was relatively clear. I still have them yet somewhere.

Best pair I ever had I bought from a Sav-On drug store for $10, they were brown lenses with slight Blue Blocker tint and solid nose bridge and they were the most comfortable glasses I’d ever worn. Sadly I stopped to help a lady change a wheel, took them off and put them down to the side then tramped on them. Sometimes being a knight in shining armour will bite you in the butt.

I have some special coating on my prescription Zeiss DriveSafe lenses that negates the need for a separate pair of sunglasses. You look out of them and everything seems normal but if you take the glasses off and look at them from the front the surface looks jet black, quite spooky really.

I have some special coating on my prescription Zeiss DriveSafe lenses that negates the need for a separate pair of sunglasses. You look out of them and everything seems normal but if you take the glasses off and look at them from the front the surface looks jet black, quite spooky really.

Carl Zeiss ophthalmic lenses are amongst the finest available. I wear Zeiss prescription lenses all day every day. Seriously expensive but seriously good. Mine are Zeiss Progressive (varifocal) Superb(R) in 1.67 index material. These are double aspheric lenses and they clarity and lightness are incredible assets. Over £300 just for the lenses, this dwarfs the cost of a half decent frame but the results are sensational.

I, too, have the Zeiss Duravision Platinum coatings.

Check this video out for the reason that pilots must not wear polarized sunnies.

Polarized screens and LCD displays.
The video explains/demonstrates it way better than I can.

I have a pretty sound knowledge of all this stuff (physics to around 1st year degree level) but none of it explains why speed time and distance perception is impeded by polarised lenses. Maybe the Stig's full face helmet has visor has some manufacturing flaws??

I believe Stigs comments were based on or directed at the every day driver as the book certainly was along with track day tips.
Don't think that anyone would wear sunnies behind tinted visors.
I'm no geek so always happy to learn from more experienced/knowledgeable people.

somehow i have never got use to wearing sun glasses when i drive long or short distances. does not bother me

Depends whether you've got dark coloured eyes or light coloured like blue or green. Best to treat the sunlight with respect, macular degeneration ain't easy to live with.

Depends whether you've got dark coloured eyes or light coloured like blue or green. Best to treat the sunlight with respect, macular degeneration ain't easy to live with.

It [macular degeneration] isn't remotely funny. Until we start to lose our faculties and functions it's easy to become complacent. We have a member here - MadRod - with whom I have had a few disagreements along the way. For which I am reasonably liable for at least 50% of blame. None of this matters - we're all caring compassionate human beings so such things must be put aside.

However, he's suffering with early stages of macular degeneration right now and there's no way I would wish any kind of disability upon anyone.

Look after your eyes, look after everything, and help others less fortunate than you, too.

People take their eyesight for granted and there are so many wonderfull, exotic things to see. They might think “If my eyesight goes then I can always touch things and “see” them through my fingertips”.

I suppose that could work for some things but not for the really special things;
Red Hot Manifold 2.png