Suggestions on bonnet vents?

Dale69

Tuner
Car
Charade G102 1,3l
just wondering where would be the best places to put a couple of vents in my bonnet? the black area will have a scoop above my top mount intercooler so after any other ideas, thanks :)
bonnet%201_zpsc7xa96fv.jpg

What are you hoping the vents will do?
With regard to the intercooler vent, which way are you hoping the air will flow?

intercooler will have a scoop above it directing air onto it, basically i am turboing a daihatsu charade 4 cyl hoping for ultimately 160+hp at the flywheel, daily driver with drag racing duties and living in tropical North Queensland, want to keep it as cool as possible in all situations. will be using an aftermarket alloy radiator from an EK Honda Civic so doing research, asking questions etc :)

A problem you may have with the location of the intercooler is pressure differential. The area that you are planning to locate the scoop is usually a low pressure area on a bonnet (imagine the bonnet as the top surface of a wing). Unless the pressure under the intercooler is less than the pressure of the air flowing over the bonnet you won't get any flow through it.

PS, just looked at Rad's link and it confirms what I just said, phew :)

interesting read that, thanks Rad :) so what i can deduce, i would be better with a rear opening scoop above it, and maybe some small vents along the frontish area just above the slope of the bonnet, might have to get one of those guages and have a good suss of it, thanks guys :D

The trouble with a rear facing vent located in the low pressure area of the bonnet is that it will draw hot air from the engine bay through the intercooler, not a good idea. You need to get cold high pressure air to one side of the intercooler, which will be difficult with its proposed location. The only way I can see this working, without the help of photos, is to duct cold air from the front of the car and seal off the intercooler from the hot engine bay air. Better still, re-site the intercooler to a better location.

Having said this, the car will work wherever you locate the intercooler, just not as well as it would with a properly located and sized intercooler. Cooler the intake charge the more power produced.

The intercooler is one of the most important parts of a turbocharged system, which is why so much time, money and research is put into their design and why amateurs are often disappointed with their power outputs.