Sudden smoke

demoguy

Car
Astra 1.6 sxi
Hi
Have problem that is stumped me :(
I have a 2003 astra 1.6 8valve run great most of the time no issues has power but every now and again it start to throw smoke out not for long then clears and is ok for a week or so then does it again also it does use oil suddenly it can run fine for about a week check oil once a week then there is sudden drop on the dip stick??
Have read alittle on forums if it was stem seals would do it when cold ?
If it was rings the would do it all the time?

Car runs great most of the time checked spark plugs and number 2 looks a little oily others are ok any help please

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Thanks it's giving me a headache.
It is my sisters car she is out in it now and no problems drives ok no smoke she told me this morning she started the car up fine drove it about 2 miles to school then she dropped her daughter off car running all the time then it just started blowing smoke from exhaust smoking the school out very embarrassing for her it cleared as she drove off and has been fine all day ? she drove to mine and i checked oil levels and water was fine.

It does loose oil somewhere but not all the time can run a week without using oil then all of a sudden it drops ????:sad2:

Also number 2 spark plug is a little oily when i checked could it be stem seals?
As surely if was rings would burn oil and smoke all the time? HeLp
its done 93,000 mile so not mega and is a 2003 8/valve 1.6

Last edited:
Might be worth getting a compression test done on it. It could be the valve seals. A compression test should help identify where the problem is.

Does the car do a lot of short journeys? All cars need a good motorway run to clear them out once in a while.

Might be worth getting a compression test done on it. It could be the valve seals. A compression test should help identify where the problem is.

Does the car do a lot of short journeys? All cars need a good motorway run to clear them out once in a while.

short journeys not really? I will try and borrow a compression tester at weekend any body changed stem seal on these cars? is it a big job?

short journeys not really? I will try and borrow a compression tester at weekend any body changed stem seal on these cars? is it a big job?

hello mate i use to have the same problem with a 1.2 8v corsa i know it not the same car but that engine is virtually the same set up as mine just bigger i had to do a number of vaulve stem seals there not hard but you haev to take the head of and take the vaulve spring of etc it not hard just time consuming

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back