Subaru Legacy 2.5 2003 - addition of power please

eb1092

Hello,

I have a standard Subaru Legacy 2003 with the 2.5L engine with an automatic transmission. This car have no power in the low rev band and I want some trick in order to increase power at engine low rev. Can be modification of the air intake.

any advises?

EB

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. I think the main problem lies in the transmission rather than the engine.

A panel air filter and larger throttle body should help improve your low down power. Is the cat in good condition?

Have you decoked the engine - there should be plenty of low down torque on offer. There is a spray decoker that works quite well, it should help with fuel economy too.

Hello Waynne,

Yes the cat is in good condition. I would say A-1 but compare to my my Honda Accord 98 and also 2003, the cat is not a cat but a cow. I have to sale one car between the Accord 98 and the Subaru 03. I chose the Subaru for the Cargo, towing capacity, the 4x4 (the winter here is pretty hard) and the Tank side of this car, but power is not there and comsuption is higher than the Accord.

Sorry if I don't understand, but panel filter is a air filter like K&N ? Also, how do you decoke an engine? You mean to clean the trottle body ?

In other way, what do you think about the HHO/Hydrogen kit sale in Ebay . This thing can damage the engine? , ****-up the ratio air/fuel ? ...?

thanks for your time.

eric

The HHO is a massive scam. It implies you can create more energy than you put in which just doesn't work out.

The panel air filter is like your square paper one but is made of a high flow foam so it lets more air into the engine.

Decoking an engine. Ideally you strip it right down and clean it up but this is expensive. THere is a foam you can get that you spray into the air intake which does a good job. Additives like redex will also help to clean the inside of the engine.

Thanks for the tip Fred - a very good point, sized bearings or heavy friction can be a major performance sapper.

I've heard that getting people to push your car does a lot for fuel economy;) It just doesn't go that far.

i'm about to take delivery of similar model of car (legacy 2.5gx estate), so this is quiete helpful... do you know the bore/diameter of the exhaust? i'm planning on getting a sport cat if the standard one gives up the ghost.. stainless exhaust is another possibility.. panel air filter first though..

standard redex ok to put in the petrol every fill up, if i use the higher octane fuel?

You wont get a lot of extra power low down without major work on an auto.
If its a na then turbo is the eadiest answer but not the easiest install
More power and better mpg are hardly linked unless as said before you get a better map or better still a more advanced ECU ecu with a proper map

remapping cost vary from place to place, cheap ones down at £100 up to custom ones nearing a grand.

side effects are your engine will be working harder so its beneficial to look after it more