Sub Frame Issue

AlpinaPete

Car
BMW Alpina B3 3.3
Hi

Has anyone on this site ever heard of or experienced an E46 Sub Frame ripping away from the chassis?

Well, as I expected, my Alpina suffered the dreaded sub frame defect. Luckily, BMW did a FOC repair even though the car is circa 10 years old.

For information, this problem is common on many early E46 BMW's. Basically any E46 from start of production until Feb 00 when they started using a stronger rear sub frame can be effected. It does appear to be more common on the more powerful 6 cylinder cars and I understand that there was a recall in Germany.

Anyway BMW repair FOC, although they took some convincing this was a common 'defect'.

I'm in the process of trying to get a written response from BMW UK to confirm that this work will be carried out free of charge to any effected E46 of any age in the future. This is mainly due to the fact that the repair on mine was to weld in a replacement sheet on the side where the sub frame was ripping from the chassis only. I'm guessing it could well happen to the other side in the future and also believe on many cars, the repair was a complete new sub frame!

Pete