Splishing and splashing

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I see lots of cars ploughing into deep puddles making massive waves.

Is that likely to cause any problems in a modern well maintained car?

Do you chance it with your car?

How do you approach water sitting on the road? I go slow at high rpm and apply the brakes just as I get out of the water to dry them off. - are there any other better tips?

To ascertain how deep the water is I picked up a handy tip. You send your other half out in front of the car and you can easily see if the water is too deep to drive through. I did find the reality much harder in application than the simple theory of this awesome tip. ;)

One reason in a long list why I went back to a Land Rover. The Disco can plough through most as the weight of the tank will not be influenced by standing water. However when coming across flooded sections I do slow down so as not to make too much of a mess. I see some drivers chancing it by driving too fast and wonder why they can't steer or end up in the armco. I can easily drive through 600mm on standard ride height with a further 100mm if I raise it before I need a snorkel! However the MG avoids puddles like the plague as I am scared silly of getting it sucked up the induction cold air feed!

To ascertain how deep the water is I picked up a handy tip. You send your other half out in front of the car and you can easily see if the water is too deep to drive through. I did find the reality much harder in application than the simple theory of this awesome tip. ;)

.V( If you EVER get Mrs Obi Waynne to do this little task for you, I INSIST on a video clip being taken, if it's of any use to you afterwards Obi I am a registered emergency responder and qualified in CPR(BLS)/AED/First Aid - Adult/Child/Infant ;)
I can also get you a great deal on a coffin from the Co-Op on an easy payment scheme :rofl:

.V( If you EVER get Mrs Obi Waynne to do this little task for you, I INSIST on a video clip being taken, if it's of any use to you afterwards Obi I am a registered emergency responder and qualified in CPR(BLS)/AED/First Aid - Adult/Child/Infant ;)
I can also get you a great deal on a coffin from the Co-Op on an easy payment scheme :rofl:

:lol: I'll see what I can do!

Sucking water into the intake is the worst thing followed by stalling and pulling water up the exhaust. I believe that water can actually bend the piston rods but I'm not sure how this happens.

It's called HydroLock = as water doesn't compress like a gas the rods bend or you lose the bottom end of your engine!

Not good! Iv'e known this happen when people spray intake cleaner into the engine too quickly at too low an RPM!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back