Speeding

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is it more dangerous to speed in town or on a motorway? Should the margins for prosecution be altered?

motorways are in the open with few hazards compared to towns, i agree with having motorways unrestricted. speeding through built up areas is daft. plain daft. :)

I always think that if you speed in town you have a much higher risk of killing yourself or worse still an innocent pedestrian, the motorways have a bigger safety margin and less chance for the unexpected to happen. I do not endorse speeding on motorways though and I am one of those drivers who sticks to a real 70 MPH!

Bring on the German autobhan rules then. Why do you think there are less accidents on the German Autobahns?

I'm one of those drivers who flouts the m'way limit regularly. Quite often this is fairly transient during overtaking. My car is pretty lively in fifth between 70 and 90 mph so it's not like your spending several seconds and covering quarter of a mile whilst accelerating to get by.

I've been known to be a crazy psychotic on the motorway and bounce my car off it's rev limiter, back in the wild days before my accident.

These days I pretty much stick to 70mph, and will only push it higher if I'm overtaking, getting back in and easing back off as soon as I can.

In fact, I don't even like the outside overtaking lane anymore - go figure.

I'm about 4 years over pension age by that token :lol: . Ah well I guess it is time to start worndering round outside in my dressing gown and slippers looking confused! :D

Hey, never mind guys - age is just a number.

Look at Hugh Hefner :D Hope I'm still doing that well at his age... hell he has three foxy girlfriends wish I could do that well now!!!

(well... one foxy girlfriend, one tomboy and one bunny boiler really, but Bridget's worth it all alone)

(But no, she's not as good as Mrs Blackline Ninja :p )

(I'm going to stop digging my hole now :oops: )

your perception of speed differs greatly when you compare driving in built up areas with more points of reference than a motorway with less.

That's a good reference. But then if there are less points of reference on a clear motorway at 110mph than there are in town at 30mph surely safety is not compromised in that situation.

try balancing out situations which may arise according to the highway code:

what do you have to contend with on a built up road v what you have to contend with on a motorway

in built up areas, there are blind ares: behind cars, walls, corners etc people walking out unexpectedly, having to stop at omph quickly.

on motorways, there are no people unless they've broken down, no blind areas, only trees sometimes lining the edges of the motorway, are motoways lit? :shock: never noticed. your sight is better as nothing is hidden.

the only things that may happen are muppets changing lanes suddenly, without use of indicators, and people jumping off bridges.