speed limiters

Nat

Wrench Pro
Car
750i German Spec
speed limiters are installed on most cars today, but should they be? For inexperianced drivers, they can be a good thing, so they dont take their car to close to its natural drag, or gearing induced limit. but shouldn't there be an option to have it removed from the factory for those who want to have the chance to take their car to its limit?

It's easy enough to get the limiting removed with an aftermarket remap.

Without delving into politics, it's not worth asking why they are there.

Limiting the car to a maximum of 155mph implies that it's perfectly OK to drive it at 154mph, regardless of the situation.

Sadly, most people are too dumb to work out for themselves that this is possibly not the wisest thing to do in general driving.

Let's just hope that as a result of their diminished intellects they are unable to afford a car which is capable of more than 155mph.

Yup - both my 155MPH limiters have been removed (W8 and R36). Took litrally a few minutes - as HDi says - its just part of the engine map.

Yup - both my 155MPH limiters have been removed (W8 and R36). Took litrally a few minutes - as HDi says - its just part of the engine map.

It's wider than just the engine map in reality. Just about everything is under general ECU control. Even things as simple as opening a rear window require a request from the window switch to be sent via the ECU.

I cannot see any reason to arbitrarily limit cars to 155mph, anymore than I can see a reason to arbitrarily limit them to 70mph.

Once we start doing this kind of stuff it just becomes ingrained across the whole of society.

Being controlled by the state is something we should not entertain.

It's dangerous in the extreme.

Last edited:
cars with these 155 limiters, such as most german manufactured cars, are quite capable of going more than 155 with the stock parts that the manufacturer uses now. i dont think thats why they would put that on there. i see stock bmw, mercedes, audi, volkswagen, even american cars driving down the autobahn not far from base doing 160, maybe 170mph, some faster than that. hell even my 1991 bmw 750i will do 155 quite nicely, and it needs some work.

Yes obviously cars that are limited to 155mph can go faster than this. But if they came unlimited from the factory then say a 200mph car would need 200mph tyres and brakes etc an the cost of the car would go up. Thats the reason most limit them.

I have no time for the UK Government's position on the top speed of cars.

Speed limiters are yet another mechanism that the UK government exploits to try and tell us that it's looking after us.

That those really bad people who drive fast are really bad and really naughty and that it's best they're either restricted, or locked up, or WORSE!

Watch out folks, it's dictatorship in the wings!!

Google 'file on four + forensic" and listen to the program using BBC Listen again.

Last edited:
The GTR limiter switches off when you are on a recognised track which seems a good idea.

I suppose we have to remember that in 10 years time these £40k monsters will be picked up by our local yoofs for £3000 or less!

It's how you handle the car in the corners that matters, rather than how fast it goes in a straight line;)

I suppose we have to remember that in 10 years time these £40k monsters will be picked up by our local yoofs for £3000 or less!

doubt it, if its involved it a lowish speed impact - cracked front bumper -your looking at around £11k repair. comes from the pedestrian impact system being activated. requires new rams and airbags, new ECU. how many are going to last long enough to drop in value without being written off

have a look here
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-accident-dont-do-what-i-did.html