spacer help

dingle

Car
306 xs 1.8 16v
I have a 306 xs 1.8 16v ,3 door,lowered all round,usual mods,and reciently added new wheels,problem is the wheels are 16" with 205/40/16 tryes and ive been told to fit spacers,kicker is the front has little room until the tyres hit the arches ,the rear could be ok with 20 mm spacers ,any advice would be great,my wee car is a looker and I want this to continue,i also want ideas on engine mods.cheers all.

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum buddy :)

You could just fit a much lower profile tyre on the wheels. Why do you need a spacer? If you have to go the spacer route then make sure it is a hubcentric version.

It sounds like the fronts are where they should be. You could pull or roll the arches if clearance is a problem.

Spacers are to my mind a bit of a bodge performance wise, they add unsprung weight. You also have to use longer bolts.

If it's just a visual thing then I can see why you might want to use them.

Hi and welcome.

Why have you been told to fit spacers?
I bought the wheels from a guy in Blackburn ,he said there of a 407 so I'd need to fit spacers ,I think they sit close or up against t
It sounds like the fronts are where they should be. You could pull or roll the arches if clearance is a problem.

Spacers are to my mind a bit of a bodge performance wise, they add unsprung weight. You also have to use longer bolts.

If it's just a visual thing then I can see why you might want to use them.
just moved the car front seems ok just rubs on the back ,defo rub on back axel and inside arches ,thing is spacers are quiet expensive but I guess I'll just have to go for it ,15mm should do I hope

defo rub on back axel and inside arches ,thing is spacers are quiet expensive but I guess I'll just have to go for it ,15mm should do I hope

So jack up the car and take of the rear wheels, cut some small strips of wood 15 mm thick and put them behind the wheel temporarily. Spin the wheel while the car is still jacked up to check for any rubbing. If all ok, then remove wood replace wheel and order the spacers. This would also be a good time to see if you will need longer bolts so you could order them at the same time ;)

You could also use a set of metal washers behind the bolts just to see how the wheel sits on a spacer. Don't run the car like this though it's just for a quick visual check.

Be careful with 15mm spacer choice as this will probably move the wheel away from the hub's central flange losing support. Unless there is a central flange built into the spacer you will be relying on the bolts only to locate and support the wheel.

So jack up the car and take of the rear wheels, cut some small strips of wood 15 mm thick and put them behind the wheel temporarily. Spin the wheel while the car is still jacked up to check for any rubbing. If all ok, then remove wood replace wheel and order the spacers. This would also be a good time to see if you will need longer bolts so you could order them at the same time ;)
great idea just read this ill give it a go,thanks friend

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back