Software for DIY remapping

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you wanted to get into DIY remapping and read write the ECU in your car what would you need?

I presume you'd need hardware and software (plus some lessons on what to do with the code you pull from the ECU).

What products either software or hardware do you recommend looking into. What are the pro tuners using?

Alientech Kess V2 is the defacto stand out solution for the mobile ECU mapper.
Powergate
ECM Titanium

For a more budget approach try an MPPS or Galletto lead which are available on leading auction sites.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A NOOB STARTS PLAYING WITH THE FILE THEMSELVES. You need to interpret the code correctly and even pros struggle with some of the ECU versions.

If you are new you are better off buying a remap file, or better still sending in your read file and getting it modified by a pro then flashing this back to the car.

Many cables are only good for a number of flashes then you have to buy another one, there is a chip inside them. Cheap cables can cause bad flashes and it is possible to brick your ECU. Many file sellers will help you unbrick an ECU if you can send it to them should you get stuck.

The risk is very real. Check for a warranty and good support.

Last edited:
I have had a play with a MPPS cable and some software, just to see if I can make any sense of the data. I can't. I will leave ECU coding to the professionals. I don't have the patience to learn the black art of remapping.

Downloading the code and sending it to a professional is a good route for those who want a slightly hands on approach, but I don't consider this to be DIY remapping.

I've never uploaded to the ECU, just in case I hit a parity error or similar and render the thing unbootable.

Also check your laptop is stable, run antivirus first and you have a full battery and turn off as many applications and close all unused windows.

Close the cars doors and turn off all in car electrics (radio/aircon/fan/lights etc) Spikes can cause bad flashes.

Keep a backup file very safe of your cars original ECU file.

I have also used an MPPS cable, you end up with a gibberish filled long file that looks like this.
Ä"^ r J ð ú d „d „ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ) ! ˆÿ– d R„ $ Ôè , , œÿ d È ,ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ (#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(#(

When converted to hex codes it will appear like this.
FF 5F BE BE BE BF 08
5F BE BE BE BF 08 08
BE BE BE BF 08 03 08
BE BE BF 08 C4 05 09
FF 5F BE BE BE BF 01
FF 5F BE BE C7 34 08

So good luck working on the raw code!!!!

ECU editing software looks for common blocks that contain fuelling, duration, boost, smoke, timing and other parameters letting you change the values.

All these values need to be edited in harmony, getting them out of balance could be fatal.

Bosch ECU seem to be quite good at protecting the engine even when parameters are wrong. You'll get a flat spot or sudden surge as things get in and out of balance.

IT IS NOT A TRIAL AND ERROR SYSTEM you will cause damage if you don't know what you're doing.

Take a 3 day training course to get to grips with this. Many professional remappers just read a file, send it in to a HQ where it is modified and returned and then they flash it to the car for you. For them it is easier to get the support of a national company and operate a franchise than to write custom maps themselves.

Why should a person think they can come along, change a few numbers and end up with a really fast car without any training or knowledge!

Downloading the code and sending it to a professional is a good route for those who want a slightly hands on approach, but I don't consider this to be DIY remapping.

I've never uploaded to the ECU, just in case I hit a parity error or similar and render the thing unbootable.
It's more of a DIY flash than DIY remap but is the only route I'd recommend a newbie to take.

The code does contain parity blocks to prevent tampering, again the pro software will adjust these parity codes to allow the car to accept the new file.

I'm new so I can no post links yet. This is a URL to an article about this very subject. It's a great starting point, and tells you how to deal with the hex.

theksmith.com/software/hack-vehicle-bus-cheap-easy-part-1