Snow chains, winter tyres and snow socks

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you ready for the snow this year?

I look at it this way, if you have winter tyres or snow chains you have to go in to work but if you don't have these then you have a perfect excuse to stay at home!

Do you worry much about winter preparations for your car? What do you do?

Drive slow and careful. Leave in tons of time and just be over cautious... To be fair, I wouldn't even bother going into work if I can't get off my driveway! Which has happened quite a few times!

No room for snow tyres at home unfortunately, I do however keep one of those portable folding snow shovels in the car just in case. I think I shall also splash out and buy a couple of those snow tyre socks as well, for the sake of £50 (nothing money!) you just never what kind of winter we are going to have until you are stuck in it :amuse:

Blankets! why did I not think of that? Thanks Richie, I shall pick up a couple from Halfords tomorrow and keep them in the boot. I have everything else including 3 sealed packets of biscuits, a few chocolate bars and a bottle of mineral water.

I just drive slow and careful don,t have room to store a set of wheels.
I work 11 miles away,i live on a hill if i can,t get traction to get out i don,t go to work.
Do stock up on screenwash etc also have a winter check for 49.99 by my local garage.

I am trying out prestone screenwash booster i get it from asda for 3 quid for 250ml
it seems to work ok.

Like I said in an other thread; It's illegal to drive without winter tyres in Norway during the winter. And staying home because of the snow is not an option. Been driving on snow and ice every day for at least a month now. The main roads are dry though. The government and Public Roads Administration used 9000 tons of salt in Bergen City(300 000 people) during the winter 2010/2012.

What I use is;
Ice-scraper with brush for removing snow and Ice off my car
Salt for melting the snow in my driveway.
Extra windshield wiper fluid because there's a lot of dirty snow in the air from other cars.
Thick winter jacket, gloves and winter shoes while I'm outside scraping of the ice.

Last edited:
I have my ice scraper and a sleeping bag in the boot. That stays in there all year round for staying out at friends houses which a usually student houses. Never had too much trouble driving in the snow