Smoking diesel

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I've a VW T4 2.5tdi, I bought it in May, drove it home, parked it and left it, now when I start it there seems to be a lot of smoke (white/grey), I left the van running until warm but the smoke won't dissapear, unfortunately I don't have tax or inssurani so can't give it a proper Italian tune up, what do you think? Do I have problems or is it normal from being stood up, .anybideas appreciated, thank you

Ooo that's sounds ominous, white grey smoke sounds like a little oil burn, say valve stem seals, but this usually clears, so it's more likely coolant, check the smell of the smoke, if it smells sickly sweet, it's coolant, and you either have a a duff head gasket or more likely a cracked cylinder head, probably between the valve seats. Check inside the oil filler and rocker cover, if its creamy coloured you have coolant in the oil, also pull the dip stick and check for same. The extent can be varified by carrying out a compression test or cylinder leakage test, best done by the professionals to get best results. Good luck.