Smart motorways

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on smart motorways, speed averaging cameras and variable speed limits?

I hit a 40mph limit on a motorway Sunday Morning at 06:00. The road was empty and no road workers were working on the roads. Why not raise the limit if conditions are good and early Sunday morning is a no brainer, it's going to be quiet then.

Perhaps motorway limits should be variable but go up to 80mph. Thoughts?

I like smart motorways. The variable speed limits work, as long as everyone actually uses them.

Of course you example is an odd one, I suspect an admin error somewhere.

I would say that we should have the same layout as the autobahn in Germany. I can't see an issue with it though we do have a lot of plebs over here. As they've never been restricted over there I suspect people are used to using them and therefore a have a certain degree of sensibility about it. I guess if you brought them here now you'd have every chav chariot possible piling down it and into other people. They still have a smart motorway system to let people know of traffic conditions etc. I don't think it should be as heavily policed as it is. Having said that I've seen many or moron shoot through them with zero flash from the mounted cameras so it's hard to tell which ones even work most of the time. Never trust the ones on the M62 though

I like smart motorways. The variable speed limits work, as long as everyone actually uses them.

Of course you example is an odd one, I suspect an admin error somewhere.
It's just the Universe picking on me. The telephone box door is always on the far side, the USB port is always in the last place I look.....