slight transmission issue renault six speed...

emmomojo

Tuner
Car
Renault laguna tubo
hello, I have a small issue with my transmission. The car vibrates a little compared to my five speed on idle. (like exhaust touching body very slightly, but it isn't)The gears including reverse, shift perfectly, no whining or graunching, or rumbly bearing sound through the gears, general smooth runner, however, on warm running temperature idle, there is a very faint, and occasional gear meshing sound, and general "chatter" like a lash sound on a bearing which is not present under higher revs. Also, this problem completely disappears when i depress the clutch pedal. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks

Ok, now I know what a dual mass flywheel is, i just have never abbreviated it.
I know a bit about them, being a right pain in the backside from transits. They go wrong a lot and mess up the clutch, and the starter motor and then it gets expensive. I am not sure which flywheel it runs, though it (my issue)seems to be a very common fault in many, many cars, Deutsche, japanese or french. I will have to get oily and bloody and have her out. (got to come out anyways)
In a former life I would have said spigot bearing or something more like that. I am sure I can mend it, still havent quite spent a grand on the two cars yet (includes more than a year of trouble free motoring) Its looking like costing me 2 in total, with all whistles and bells, especially the whistles ;)

From your description, I'd put money on the dual mass flywheel starting to pack up. It's time to start saving up my friend. There is no way to get around it but change it out. You'll need a flywheel, bolts and a clutch kit with a new slave cylinder if it has one internally as some vehicles do, if it's a cable clutch you'll be OK.

The whole shebang will be in the region of 4-600 Gbp plus fitting if you can't do it yourself. My advice, don't leave it too long, once they start the deterioration can be very rapid. All the best.

Edited.. Just seen how old this post is... It'll have exploded by now