Skoda RS 1.8 (2006)

shahink

Car
Skoda OctaviaRS2006
Hi everyone I am new to this site and just entered the world of skoda by buying a used RS.
In india the RS comes detuned to 150Bhp compared to European 180Bhp.
My Current mods are:-
Sport intercooler (JDM)
K & N Typhoon intake
Stock ECU remapped
Magnaflow Exhaust

Done 65000 Kms
Dyno's showing 220bhp

Usually i dont step on the throttle fully, most of the time I push it to only around 50-70%. The problem is when i drive it around for about 10 minutes i experience a power drop by 30% and the awesome turbo sound is not heard. This happens is when i use half throttle. But when i use full throttle i dont find any power drop after however long. I obviously cant keep giving full throttle 24/7 but however during the power drop, after switching the car off and on, there is no power drop but only for another 5 mins. Again i got to switch it off and on again to get the power back on. I am confused in cracking down which area the problem lies in.

Also can anyone here tell me which braking system will be suitable for my mods (street use). Since i still have the stock brakes on and find it very ineffective to the amount of boost i have which is 19.5 psi. Would Brembo GT kit fit my car??

Kindly help

Howdo.

Dunno about the 1.8T but if this was a PD engine then with those symptoms it would likely be the actuator rod/motor that was sticking when on half throtttle so not opening the turbo up properly. if the 1.8t has something similar I'd be checking that.

Easiest braking mods would be the bigger disks, calipers and caliper carriers from an R32 or TT, as they should bolt straight on. You may be able to source decent calipers/carriers secondhand, check on ebay.

hey and welcome to the site mate.

can you check the engine code of your RS is its the 150 its more likely to be the AUM engine rather than the AUQ one.

do you have a boost gauge fitted ? is so what does it boost to after the power drop ? ill take a guess at around 5psi ;)

edit does your RS come with 312mm discs or the 288mm ones ?
if its 288 then look towards trying to get the 312mm carriers and discs, they use the same calliper along with uprated pads.
or if you want you can start looking towards porsche callipers and custom discs. im running the rear callipers from the 996 with the standard 312mm discs. made by brembo and a hell of a lot cheaper to get than the GT kit that they sell for it

Last edited:
Hi. I am new here. I have also bought a used SKODA Octavia RS a few months back. I believe it is a 180 bhp model in India and 150 bhp. However, I have got it tuned to Stage III by a professional and it goes like a rocket. They have changed major engine internals, put a cold air intake, a Forge inter cooler and a bigger turbo et all.

I have just driven about 1100 Kim's on the tuned car now and boy is this an amazing feeling.
One sore point is the miserable stock brakes. I have brought the Porsche 996.351. 425, 426, 421, 422 caliper set from eBay. I will update the brakes to a 323 mm discs. With the mod done I feel that it would really help counter emergency stops.

One thing that I have experienced is torque steer (even in spite of Quaife LSD) between gears when I do spirited driving! I guess that is an issue with FWD cars. Is there a way to increase downforce on the car to control this?

Raju

Greetings RPVRS and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

To tame my vicious torque steer on my own powerful FWD I fitted a: front strut brace and a six point sub-frame brace! All items if not readily available for your car in your country can be custom made without too much trouble.

Thank you T9 man. Where can I get one custom made. I would need two sets for me and one more for my friend. How much would it cost?

Thank you T9 man. Where can I get one custom made. I would need two sets for me and one more for my friend. How much would it cost?

Well in Mumbai absolutely no idea! but what you should be looking out for is a garage with somebody who can fabricate. This is what I done here in England for both strut systems. Both the front strut brace and the six point sub frame brace, were made up for me while I waited. Front strut brace took 5 hours and the six point sub frame brace took 6 1/2 hours. The garage was to far away for me to go home and come back, so I waited around with a good book and drank lots of coffee. The front strut brace cost £420 to construct and the six point sub frame brace cost me £610. This is based mostly on the fabricators time as opposed to the cost of the actual materials used.

If you are getting two done then the price will come down significantly for you, especially if they are done at the same time.

Last edited:
Materials used were 20mm thick T304 grade stainless steel tube. I have pictures of the front strut brace actually fitted on my car, but I do not have one of the six point sub frame actually fitted. I have however got a picture of the sub frame brace just before it was fitted which will give you some idea!

Front strut brace currently fitted on my baby! As you can see it was both aesthetically pleasing and shaped to fit around the brake master cylinder and the coolant expansion bottle.

newabbottfrontstrutbrace1.jpg

newabbottfrontstrutbrace.jpg

Previous front strut brace used which was ready made.

newfrontstrutbrace1.jpg

Six point sub frame.

subframebrace.jpg

I hope this helps! Good luck :)

Last edited:
hey and welcome to the site mate.

the RS only got the 5 spd gearbox however the 6spd box was fitted to some other models that had this engine. apparently the 6spd had equal lentgh driveshafts so may help as well. not sure if your diff would fit it however.

i had the 6spd box on my bora and cant say i really felt any torque steer at all from it

hey guyz, im an octavia 1u 1,8t 150 bhp owner, i just wanna know how much power can i get from this engine w/o changing any parts in the engine, i mean inside the engine, and if any1 can tell me the exactly name or code for the 6spd gearbox that fits on my engine and what clutch should i use that is not gonna give me some power drop,

hey guyz, im an octavia 1u 1,8t 150 bhp owner, i just wanna know how much power can i get from this engine w/o changing any parts in the engine, i mean inside the engine, and if any1 can tell me the exactly name or code for the 6spd gearbox that fits on my engine and what clutch should i use that is not gonna give me some power drop,

The thumb rule is around the 300bhp mark for these engines and i'll have alook tomorrow for the gearbox part number;)

I think you need to change the turbo tho to go much above 220bhp as the turbo on a 150 can't cope with more. I imagine the gearbox would take 300lbft/400nm as that's what most vag boxes seem to be rated at.

ofc i was thinking to upgrade the turbo to k03s or k04 i dont really know, k03s is much easier to fit than k04.... thats what ive heared... maybe im gonna keep my gearbox and use g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch ...

ty a lot for answering so fast on a topic i tought it was dead :)

i think the k03-s was standard on these engines after 2001 in 150bhp and 180bhp guises,so 180bhp should be achievable with just a remap.
fitting an aftermarket exhaust and a decent panel air filter or induction kit should give even more power.

i think the k03-s was standard on these engines after 2001 in 150bhp and 180bhp guises,so 180bhp should be achievable with just a remap.
fitting an aftermarket exhaust and a decent panel air filter or induction kit should give even more power.

well mine is from 2000 and im pretty sure i got the k03 turbo on it so a turbo upgrade its a must cuz mine is pretty much damaged:)