Silicone hoses do they give performance gains

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Are silicone hoses just for pretty looks or do they offer any performance benefits to a car?

Do they last longer than rubber ones? Which hoses are the most important to upgrade in a car, the air intake, vac pipes or the water pipes?

The look pretty but have no benefit on standard engines over good condition standard items.

On engines producing high boost and vacuums they are less likely to burst or collapse.

They should last longer than standard ones on a standard engine and a lot longer on tuned ones. Whether the extra cost is worth it on a standard car is a matter for the owner.

PS. Don't confuse silicone with silicon, which is used in semiconductor electronics.

Silicone chips are a bad idea then! :(

Thanks for the info @old-git - very informative as always.

I have heard of boost pipes collapsing? Surely on boost they would just expand again?

The intake pipe can collapse easily on some turbo's. The C20LET Vauxhall turbo engine was known for the intaqke pipe to collapse. The other thing with performance gains, they can create the same effect as braided hoses and wont expand as much as standard items can. Therefor will give a faster reaction time of the boost as it boosts up and pressurises. Other than that, cosmetic for the most part :)

My Cooper S has a muffler pipe coming in off the cold side of the turbo, down the intercooler. This has been proven to add UP TO 5bhp once removed and replaced with a none restrictive silicone pipe.

A plastic pipe in itself does not increase power like say bigger valves

It might be more accurate to say the mod removed the restriction that was stopping the engine from running to its potential