Silicon Hoses

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Any other worthwhile makes out their apart from Samco? Was having a look around for these today and a far variance in price depending on where they are being bought from - can anyone recommend a supplier for these (Samco dont sell direct).
thanks

what are the benifits of silicon hoses or is it just the colours?

OK - do they do reinforced ones so that they don't collapse under a partial vacuum? These might be a good idea for my car if so

Best bet, IMO, is to use as little silicone as possible if you are concerned about collapse. I am using straight silicone just to join aluminium tubes (both straight and bends) so there will be no silicone exposed to pressure/vacuum.

Best bet, IMO, is to use as little silicone as possible if you are concerned about collapse. I am using straight silicone just to join aluminium tubes (both straight and bends) so there will be no silicone exposed to pressure/vacuum.

I couldn't agree more. Use as little silicone or rubber as possible for boost pipes as it can stretch and (more unlikely so) collapse. Be careful with ally if it's right under the car though buddy ;)

SFS are very good. Old man has all SFS on his Supra. Random colours, shapes and sizes can often mean long lead times from any company though. Samco do white now btw.

Any other worthwhile makes out their apart from Samco? Was having a look around for these today and a far variance in price depending on where they are being bought from - can anyone recommend a supplier for these (Samco dont sell direct).
thanks
there's quite a few hose manufactuer's,might wanna give these a try;

Forge/THS/Viper/SFS,all do straight hoses and bends,to make a kit. also there are car specific kits. IE Turbo inlet pipe,turbo boost pipes and coolant hose's

There are a couple large diameter hoses (3" ID) between the intercooler and intake manifold. These appear to be vulcanised rubber items with some sort of carcass (nylon/steel/kevlar) don't know. I assume that they're not supposed to constrict under vacuum or baloon under pressure relative to atmospheric. SHould I consider replacing with silicone items in the interests of air flow and efficiency?

There are a couple large diameter hoses (3" ID) between the intercooler and intake manifold. These appear to be vulcanised rubber items with some sort of carcass (nylon/steel/kevlar) don't know. I assume that they're not supposed to constrict under vacuum or baloon under pressure relative to atmospheric. SHould I consider replacing with silicone items in the interests of air flow and efficiency?

They won't exactly improve on anything they are just better constructed than standard items and can take more heat and pressure. They are mainly for visual purposes rather than performance.

OG / T69: What do you suggest for the high pressure hoses then as understand they still need to be flexible - the aircraft hydraulic ones i/o silicone?

Any good quality silocone hose will hold boost and vacuum. But it does have to be good quality and not like the immitation crap thats going around on ebay.

OG / T69: What do you suggest for the high pressure hoses then as understand they still need to be flexible - the aircraft hydraulic ones i/o silicone?

They only have to be flexible where there is potential for movement/vibration/expansion. On normal and most tuned vehicles the SAMCO type spec pipes are more than capable of dealing with the pressures/vacuums likely to be encountered. However, if you are running very high boost and/or long straight pipe runs (over 400mm) I would recommend that you consider using aluminium tube for the straight sections.

They only have to be flexible where there is potential for movement/vibration/expansion. On normal and most tuned vehicles the SAMCO type spec pipes are more than capable of dealing with the pressures/vacuums likely to be encountered. However, if you are running very high boost and/or long straight pipe runs (over 400mm) I would recommend that you consider using aluminium tube for the straight sections.

Yeah I was gonna say that too. Ally would be alot better for the straight bits then all you need is a few Silicone hoses for the curves.

HDI, if you have to replace the pipes then go silicone otherwise just stick with what you have. The silicone hoses reportedly last longer than their "rubber" counterparts.