Shocking modified car deaths

"Exhaust fumes had leaked under the bonnet because of the modifications, which included vents being cut into the bonnet and the catalytic converter being removed."
I have vents in my bonnet and the cat is removed. My car doesn't suffer from CO.
Is there more going on with that car that isn't reported? (is it reported in the video? I can't watch it at work). At least they have the decency to say it was a unique set of circumstances.

This is a good line, good advice, "I would urge anybody who has carried out modifications to have their work checked by a qualified mechanic."

Last edited:
Should modifying cars be regulated? Accusations of "nanny state" inbound if that were to happen.

However, in a way they already are. If one modifies a car it must still be road legal and pass the annual MOT test. Clearly this chap's car would have failed on emissions* and should not have been in use.

*I am fully aware my car should fail on emissions due to the de-cat, but I have a work around.
Maybe this person used a workaround as well.
I think the issue here is bad workmanship. Did he do it himself or was it a dodgy garage? If it was a dodgy garage they could be liable for contributing to the deaths but as accidental death has been recorded that is not happening; suggesting he did the work himself.

That is an absolute tragedy but sadly some people will still make "improvements" to their vehicles regardless of whatever rules that may be in place.

Over here we have laws/rules that I have complied/followed with the extensive mods carried out over many years that have an engineers approval plates in the engine bay should I ever be questioned by Mr Plod as to the legality of the mods and most importantly my insurer has all of them itemized on my cover note.