Serious engine problems.

Car
celica gt4 st205
Hi, I have some pretty bad problems with my mr2 mk1 project.

Basically when it is idling is sounds so rough and has a sort of popping from the exhaust although from the engine itself it sounds alright, also the rpm drops to about 500 rpm randomly.
Also the engine struggles to rev, I can only think there is an intake/air and fuel mixture problem, if you ever so slightly touch the throttle it starts to "burble" and makes a weird noise and tries to stall, to get it to rev you have to some ridiculous ritual of pumping the throttle holding it halfway etc, once it does rev above idle it does revs ok and sounds great but will not go above 4000 rpm!
So far I have changed oil, oil filter, alternator, battery ht leads and spark plugs, the previous owner fitted it with a janspeed exhaust.
When the ignition is on there is an engine light but when the engine is running it goes off.
Anybody have any idea on what might be causing these problems?

Sounds like there may be a fuel supply problem so I would
1 replace the external filter
2 check in tank pick up
3 drain tank to check for water
4 blast lines from tank to fuel rail
5 test electrical supply to pump
6 clean and test injectors

The order is up to you

ide just take fuel line off and see fuel comes out when you switch ignition on for the prime.my moneys on coil i had the same prob on my t16 engine turned out to be coil.

believe it or not this was a coil problem i changed everything but not the coil.even contemplated the engine was naff and remove it. i had a spare c20let coil i fitted this as it was the last thing left i could do after injectors leeds ect and boom it was sorted

cheers, how much fuel should I be looking for though, I changed the fuel filter a while back and admittedly I didn't tighten up the fuel hoses on the filter and it was pissing fuel out of the top of the filter .V( I've obviously fixed it now but there was quite a lot of fuel coming out.

actually after watching those videos I have realised that it has actually become a bit worse as it does not rev as easily as it does in those videos!!

doesnt sound to bad on the video. what does it drive like is it lumpy. heres how to check fuel easy way. take line off and put it into a empty petrol can then turn the key on and and wait a few second maybe 5 then turn key off .then go check to the can and see if any fuel in it. if there is you no your getting fuel but you could still have an injector fault but ide put the line back on and go for coil change mate also check the connections to the coil as i had a doji connector which is what think prompted mine to get faulty in the first place. i may be wrong but that's my bit of input mate

I can't drive it unfortunately so I do not know, according to the rev counter it does not rev above 3500 - 4000 rpm, ok I will try that.
It could be the sensor but I have no idea how to check it, I could do the diagnostic and find out what code it is thats making the engine light come on, any ideas on why it goes out when the engine is running?

cheers for the reply, what am I looking for exactly in the tank pick up?
for the fuel lines I'm guessing I just use compressed air.

The in tank pick up usually has some kind of filter or sock that may be clogged .
Reverse blast with comp air without filters in place.

oh ok cheers

looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me :)

Just remembered that not long after I got the Starion I had a similar problem where it would run fine until it got on boost and it would miss and fart like crazy and that turned out to be a partly blocked in line filter that would not allow enough fuel flow that the motor wanted.
Installed new filter and all was well again :)

Engine problem solving is a process of elimination starting with the easiest first and working thru them till you find the fault.

Unfortunately sometimes it takes a wile and other times you find it almost right away. Good luck and keep us posted

Hi, sorry its taken me so long to get back, I've been doing the work in typical teenager style ;)
I have only managed to do the ignition control module and coil pack as a bolt snapped as I undid it and it was a pain to sort out but these new parts haven't changed how it is running :(
I will have to check the fuel supply next