Selling cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you go about selling cars? Do you think the current Autotrader fees which are approaching nearly £60 are excessive?

It's been several years since I have sold a car privately. I generally part exchange them and haggle a deal close to where I am happy to change. The recent sale of my MG ZS was done via my forum where there was plenty of interest. Depending on the car in question I would always try a car forum first before Autotrader or Gumtree, the latter I find attracts buyers wanting to pay half of what's advertised without seeing it!

Struggling to remember when I last sold a car, back in the mid eighties I think before Uni.
I have seen loads of internet based companies who are willing to make the task easier for you, whether they are any good or not remains, for me anyway, to be seen.

I don't think I've ever sold a car that wasn't scrap, for whatever reason. My mechanics bought my last one after it was written off. The insurance stated the scrap was worth £90 at best; I sold it for £200 and I know my mechanics stripped it and made a nice profit.

It's often driven by market forces, your car has to be the cheapest/best value on offer for it to sell. If there are lots of other similar cars then this will drive down the price.

I'm always amazed at people who buy rubbish because it is cheap, then they spend their life savings trying to keep it on the roads, don't people realize they would save in the long run buy buying a better looked after car to start with.