Seeking Accent Performance Ideas

wmloyd4855

Car
2014 Accent 1.6GDI
Hi, Friends. I'm looking for help to upgrade the performance of my 2014 Accent Hatchback with the 1.6L GDI engine. I'm primarily interesting in cold air intake and exhaust mods. Have found the muffler I think will work best but keep hitting a wall when it comes to cold air intake. Any help would be appreciated.

Howdo. Unless you are going to turbo or throttle bodies or some other big change to the intake then the stock airbox with regular changes of the oem filter will be fine, but make sure it has a good cold air feed from the front of the car. My C220cdi has a massive cold air pipe from the grille and an enormous airfilter as standard so I dont think I could improve on it. It benefits because the same filter is used in bigger engines on the range.

If you cant find much searching under hyundai see if the same engine is used in different cars.

Howdo. Unless you are going to turbo or throttle bodies or some other big change to the intake then the stock airbox with regular changes of the oem filter will be fine, but make sure it has a good cold air feed from the front of the car. My C220cdi has a massive cold air pipe from the grille and an enormous airfilter as standard so I dont think I could improve on it. It benefits because the same filter is used in bigger engines on the range.

If you cant find much searching under hyundai see if the same engine is used in different cars.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, this same engine is used in other cars (Veloster as example) and K&N makes cold air mods for some of those other applications but not for the Accent. I'm going to discuss that angle with them and also look at non-paper filters. It's just hard for me to believe that the Hyundai factory air box is the best option.

I'd stick with paper filters. Those oiled panel things are pointless. The only advantage is that a dirty oiled panel high performance filter flows better than a dirty paper one. The filtration quality is questionable. Plus paper filters are about $5 so just replace when they start to look a bit grey.

Why shouldn't a Hyundai have a good factory air supply? In order to meet stringent air-quality regulations and consumers requirements for fuel economy the airflow will have to be good. Don't belittle your car too much. Believe it or not car manufacturers do know a thing or two about engines and induction systems :)

Hello and welcome to Torque Cars btw !!!

If you do want to fit an induction kit, and tbh it is fun fitting one,, fit a closed one. Have a look at bmc cda, they do varuous sizes that you can fit to any car. Just make sure it has a good cold feed. I have put a bmc on a couple of cars and it does give a good noise.

I'd stick with paper filters. Those oiled panel things are pointless. The only advantage is that a dirty oiled panel high performance filter flows better than a dirty paper one. The filtration quality is questionable. Plus paper filters are about $5 so just replace when they start to look a bit grey.

Why shouldn't a Hyundai have a good factory air supply? In order to meet stringent air-quality regulations and consumers requirements for fuel economy the airflow will have to be good. Don't belittle your car too much. Believe it or not car manufacturers do know a thing or two about engines and induction systems :)

Hello and welcome to Torque Cars btw !!!
I appreciate your advice and your point of view, but, regarding OEM air supply systems: if they are all so good, why is there such a big demand for after-market products and why do so many tuners opt for cold-air intakes like the K&N product I alluded to above. I had no doubt that the OEM air supply on my '04 BMW M3 was cutting edge when designed, but I installed a Dinan unit and got a performance boost. I'm not knocking Hyundai, I just want a modest improvement in sound and performance from a product that apparently nobody makes.

I appreciate your advice and your point of view, but, regarding OEM air supply systems: if they are all so good, why is there such a big demand for after-market products and why do so many tuners opt for cold-air intakes like the K&N product I alluded to above. I had no doubt that the OEM air supply on my '04 BMW M3 was cutting edge when designed, but I installed a Dinan unit and got a performance boost. I'm not knocking Hyundai, I just want a modest improvement in sound and performance from a product that apparently nobody makes.
By the way, HDIFun, the sidebar indicates that you're from Georgetown. I was born there and lived there into my teens.

I'm from the UK.
Regarding air intakes, demand for aftermarket products is simply because people buy them. Car makers do have a clue or two or more about engines

I do think replacement panel filters are a bit of a waste. The problem is that the paper ones dont get changed often enough. The change interval for mine is every 20k. After 20k its filthy. For a few quid change it every 10k or less.

That said I fitted a bmc cda cold ik to my vectra b 2.6 and it did make a difference- these engines did have a somewhat restrictive intake and at high revs the bmc helped the breathing. I will say I think though that the pipework makes a big difference, plus a good cold air feed. You could have the best filter ever but if you have small or convoluted pipes then youre stuffed.

A good well fitted cold ik will look good under the bonnet and may well make a difference.

Have a look at the throttle body too. For instance the mg k series 1.8 gets proven power increases just by fitting a slightly bigger one.

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.
Sorry for my slow reply, I've been so busy behind the scenes on here lately I have some major catching up to do.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back