Sealed for life

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I am considering getting the transmission fluid replaced in my old 528i Steptronic. BMW's position is to leave well alone as changing the fluid can introduce dirt into the transmission.

The car is close to 130,000 miles and in fairness it shifts smoothly and quickly without slipping or hesitating. It takes off from standstill immediately and without snatching or slipping too.

Occasionally it feels a bit 'firm' on downshift in full kick-down, tho going from 6th to 3rd under full throttle at 60mph I think this is possibly unavoidable. The transmissions behaviour has been the same throughout the 60,000 miles during which I've owned the car.

The fluid is expensive to buy, which kind of suggests that it is suitable to be left well alone.

Any experience or thoughts please?

I think i'd leave alone, unless there were signs of a leak or transmission noise or wear. Have you spoken to a local dealership about this?

Bear in mind that the oil doesn't get hot or contaminated like it does in an engine.

Definitely no leaks or unusual behaviour.

Dealer - BMW North Oxford says to leave alone.

A lot of folks recommend changing it but most of these are in North America where car maintenance sometimes takes on a different angle with enthusiasts....

You know, engine oil change every 300 hundred yards or whatever.