Rover Mini engine 1.3i problem

hoptastic

Hi all,

I bought a rover mini cooper ('96) a few months ago and the fuel efficiency has dropped from ~40 mpg to ~30. There is also a problem associated with acceleration as, when cold, the engine does not pull evenly in a certain rev range. This occurs in all gears in the same rev range until it's warmed up. Iam concerned the engine is worn and the garage I bought it from managed to mask the damage which is only now becoming apparent.

It has also had a problem idling but I've just cleaned the injectors and that seem to have sorted that out but the mpg is still really poor.

Any help or guidance of things to test most welcome.

Hoppy.

First job is to check the obvious. Are all the leads, plugs and distributer in good condition. If the car has not been serviced recently this could be at least part of the problem. There could be a dodgy sensor. The 'choke' could be playing up or not switching off. Does the engine temp get up to operating temperature or does it stay fairly cold? If you listen to the engine when it is running with the bonnet open do you hear a whistling noise like a hose has come loose or split? I doubt the problem is serious though but they can be a pain to track down and involve a bit of trial and error.