Roundabouts - which lane?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you want to turn left on a roundabout and there are 2 lanes into it with the left lane full of traffic would you consider using the right lane and going right round the roundabout? If someone else did this would it wind you up?

I think as a driver we all have a duty to keep the traffic flowing and I would argue that sitting in a lane of static traffic is just adding to the problem.

On an empty roundabout with 2 on and 2 off lanes which do you use for straight over? Does this change if there is no 'right turn' off the roundabout?

Road markings are only advisory - using the spare lane is a very sensible way to keep the traffic moving. Some people simply cannot use roundabouts and seem to need the whole county to be free from moving traffic befoer they'll continue onto the roundabout.

I consider this kind of hesitation to be dangerous.

Let's face it, if they can't conclude that there's plenty enough clear road space to continue how could we reasonably believe that they'll perceive a developing hazard early enough to take action and avoid a dangerous incident?

What he HDI said.

what gets me more is the ones, when there are 2 lanes and people use the right hand one to go stright over and cut you up.

"what gets me more is the ones, when there are 2 lanes and people use the right hand one to go stright over and cut you up."

There's nothing wrong with using the spare lane if it doesn't cause other drivers to change speed or direction.

Personally I hate the ones going straight ahead in the left lane who use the whole width of the roundabout thus cutting off those turning right in the right lane.

Personally I hate the ones going straight ahead in the left lane who use the whole width of the roundabout thus cutting off those turning right in the right lane.

this happened to me once a 3 lane island 3 exits a transit to the right me in the middle and a bus to the left we all pull of when it was clear then i realise the bus is going straight on with the transit next to me i had no choice but to slam on the brakes but the bus still hits me and he carrys on round the island i presumed he would pull up in a convenient spot but no i have to chase him down the road beeping my horn for a bout 2 miles until he stops at a bus stop i pull in front of him get out shouting at him and he shuts the doors on me so i have to walk round to the drivers window and tell him he hit me and the words out of his mouth no i haven't i couldnt believe he hadnt noticed

I've never yet been involved in an actual accident as a result of roundabout use/misuse/abuse. I seem to have got a point a few years ago when you instinctively know what other drivers are going to do. It's like senses 6,7, and 8.

So, although it surprises me how talentless some drivers are, I'm not actually surprised by their actions. You just sit back and watch happen exactly what you thought would happen anyway!

I know what you mean about the 6th sense. Down in Dover we get a lot of cars squeezed off the road by Artic drivers.

I see so many cars going straight from an inside lane and exiting on the outside - they are the sort of driver that waits for the roundabout to be empty and do not seem to acknowledge that there are lanes at all.

I know what you mean about the 6th sense. Down in Dover we get a lot of cars squeezed off the road by Artic drivers.

I see so many cars going straight from an inside lane and exiting on the outside - they are the sort of driver that waits for the roundabout to be empty and do not seem to acknowledge that there are lanes at all.

QFT.

Its annoying as hell when people push in front or use the whole width at times when the roads are busy (Read: All ****ing day.) - But if its late at night and I'm on a spirited drive home from my friends, sober, I'll add, I wont hesitate to use the whole width of the road.

In town nearby, I went in the right hand lane to go whats technically right, but straight on (Right round the roundabout, but on the back right corner of it, so to speak.) So, I get in, we're in traffic and theres this guy on my left in a old 4x4. He misses the first exit, fair enough, he'll take the second left. Nope? Okay, fine. He'll cut me up and get the horn for it, but I can see it coming.

Nope.

He proceeded to go round the roundabout doing a full lap, thusly going in front of me as I went to pull off. Un-****ing-believable.

So, roundabouts are one hell of a thing to interpret when theres other drivers around.

Thats not actually illegal as far as I know, eg on bypasses.
thats because there usually is 2 lanes on a bypass. its when it a normal busy road with traffic moving relatively freely yet someone always goes into the right hand lane with right hand indicator on then goes stright over