Rotating your tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you rotate your tyres? I'm not talking about making them go round as you drive:lol:

The plan as I see it is to prolong the wear of the tyres and encourage them all to wear at the same rate.

Some just swap fronts to rear and rear to front, others swap NSF to OSR and vice versa and a few people rotate in the spare as well. (I think most of us have a spare that is as old as the car and probably subject to a lot of deterioration.)

How often is it best to do the rotation and which method do you think is the best?

i never do,
i think if you rotate them, when you need tyres, you have to buy 4
all i have to buy is 2 tyres at 1 go, everytime i change the front tyres 3 times in a row, i need to get back 1s aswell,

it works out the same, i think

Here's something to think about them Prevtec, you usually get a better deal for 4 than just 2. Plus you can get them all to match and as each corner has the same tread,depth and grip the car is more balanced.

Here's something to think about them Prevtec, you usually get a better deal for 4 than just 2. Plus you can get them all to match and as each corner has the same tread,depth and grip the car is more balanced.

Yep I agree here Waynne. I change mine from front to back just before they go illegal...

i swap back to front around every 5k, cant do near to offside as the tyres are directional and therefore would require to be taken off the rim and refitted.

yeah i normally get mine from the whole salers. so get hem cheaper and normally if you get 4 you get 20% off, now add that to the sving im already getting them for and its like paying for 3 cheapish tyres at the local tyre fitter

I rotate front to back only, not side to side. I could do so with the current tyres as they assymetric but not directional. I used to have Bridgestone 720's which are directional but they wore out long before I got around to rotating anything

you have a good point, and i actually read something before saying if you rotate your tyres and keep the car tracked and balanced, and proper tyre pressure, driving at 50 mph, you'll get 60,000 km

dont know if thats true, but its what i read

you have a good point, and i actually read something before saying if you rotate your tyres and keep the car tracked and balanced, and proper tyre pressure, driving at 50 mph, you'll get 60,000 km

dont know if thats true, but its what i read

It's a nice idea. General practise now is to fit new pair to the rear. this means moving the rear tyres foward. So you're forever bedding in tyres at the front. I prefer to replace the fronts when they need replacing and have them bed in it situ. A new tyres beds in far more quickly than a slightly worn tyre does. I've recently adopted the new to the front approach as it seems to give better steering feel. Clearly the back ones need to be in servicable condition.

It's a nice idea. General practise now is to fit new pair to the rear. this means moving the rear tyres foward. So you're forever bedding in tyres at the front. I prefer to replace the fronts when they need replacing and have them bed in it situ. A new tyres beds in far more quickly than a slightly worn tyre does. I've recently adopted the new to the front approach as it seems to give better steering feel. Clearly the back ones need to be in servicable condition.
thats true, otherwise you'll spin the back out in the wet, it happened me before, i guess thats why i just change the front, im cautious about having good rear tyres

I swap mine front to rear every 6 months or so to even up the wear as the front ZS suspension is not too kind on the tyres. I have before now swapped the tyres around and reversed them to get maximum usage because of this wear. One of the drawbacks of using an assymetrical tread design.