Renault Clio 1.2 Induction Kit noise/general Induction kit noise.

bonyad

Wrench Pro
Car
Renault Clio 1.2i
Hi,

Some of you guys may know I started a thread a while back about a cone filter for my Clio.

Anyways, I bought a nice K&N 57i Induction kit for it and fitted it no problems, however now that its fitted I can seem to hear any kind of difference from engine noise. Previous cone filters that i've fitted have changed the engine noise some what. Check the picture below, i've got two cold air intakes, the standard one and the new K&N air feed coming through the front bumper. So if you can give me anytips to how to make it sound better that would be great. (If your wondering why the air feeds are a distance away from the filter it is because that's what the K&N induction kit said to do). But maybe thats why it doesnt sound great?

photo221o.jpg

Also, is there any quick and cheap ways to get a little extra speed from the car or cheap parts to put on the car.

Thanks all!

I can't see the picture here in work however (to ask a possbily insultingly stupid question), you mention that you have two air feeds from the bumper. Is the K&N definately the ONLY filter these feeds lead to? You have taken the std airbox out?

Cheers,

Adam

yeah its too air ducts that lead to the filter.

cheap way to gain speed. fit smaller lighter wheels
ditch everything out of the boot - carpets, spare wheel, jack etc.
remove rear bench.

I can't see the picture here in work however (to ask a possbily insultingly stupid question), you mention that you have two air feeds from the bumper. Is the K&N definately the ONLY filter these feeds lead to? You have taken the std airbox out?

Cheers,

Adam

yeah its too air ducts that lead to the filter.

cheap way to gain speed. fit smaller lighter wheels
ditch everything out of the boot - carpets, spare wheel, jack etc.
remove rear bench.

Haha no mate its fine Adam, yeah the std airbox is gone. Cheers.

And Pgarner this may sound stupid but whats the rear bench?

cheers.

Oh right, i'd rather keep them so people can get in etc.

Have you got any idea about the noise from the indcution kit problem?

I do too when in low revs and just driving along but when I put my foot down I want to hear it but atm i'm not hearing it.

well you will never hear it and if you do it will sound bad my step brother did it on his clio told him not to waste his money as the dont do anything but sound bad and it made is car run worse so he stuck the std air box back on

does not add any more hp really just a bad noise i think better having a noise coming from the back then the front

well you will never hear it and if you do it will sound bad my step brother did it on his clio told him not to waste his money as the dont do anything but sound bad and it made is car run worse so he stuck the std air box back on

does not add any more hp really just a bad noise i think better having a noise coming from the back then the front

Fair enough some people will like the noise and some people will not. But what I dont understand is why it doesnt have any kind of noise increase.

is strange it does not have anything normaly it gives something
when my step brother did it to his i am sure it changed the pitch a bit normaly hear it when the throttle is wide open dont know about yours but his one when i drove it it was full throttle to get anywere

Tis very strange it doesn't make a noise.

Not many cheap ways to gain speed from the car really. As Pgarner said, you could chuck the spare wheel and tools and replace with tyre foam. There's loads of weight to be lost but I get the impression you don't want to start ripping everything out. A good service with new plugs, maybe leads, fresh oil and filter, check the timing and adjust if necessary etc etc will be the best thing you can do from an engine performance point of view. If you can remove and refit it yourself, you can have your flywheel lightened for as little as £40 and you'll notice the difference a lot more than any induction kit.

Tis very strange it doesn't make a noise.

Not many cheap ways to gain speed from the car really. As Pgarner said, you could chuck the spare wheel and tools and replace with tyre foam. There's loads of weight to be lost but I get the impression you don't want to start ripping everything out. A good service with new plugs, maybe leads, fresh oil and filter, check the timing and adjust if necessary etc etc will be the best thing you can do from an engine performance point of view. If you can remove and refit it yourself, you can have your flywheel lightened for as little as £40 and you'll notice the difference a lot more than any induction kit.

Yeah it is, i'll have a proper listen out for it another time I haven't really fully listened out for it.

Cheers for the advice, like you said i'm not keen on the idea about ripping everything out. Some of the things you've said I might take a look into though:blink1:

Is there sound deadening under the bonnet? A 1.2 isn't a great sucker of air so I wouldn't have expected much noise from it.

my 1.2 8v has a seriously loud noise from just the induction kit alone. Just a nice cheap £25 induction cone did mine. I get people looking all the way down the street expecting me to have a huge jap can on the back of my car!

hi,
i have the same K&N induction kit, and it makes a slight noise when u first touch the acceleration but its not very loud when actually driving. the best cheap mods i have found is replacing the wheels and tearing out the back. if you want everyone to look then get a full through de-cat exhaust.that turns heads.

my 1.2 8v has a seriously loud noise from just the induction kit alone. Just a nice cheap £25 induction cone did mine. I get people looking all the way down the street expecting me to have a huge jap can on the back of my car!

Who was it made by mate?