Removing scratches from the windscreen

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have a lot of minor scratches in the windscreen on my new car that i'd like to remove.

I think the previous owner must have used a hedgehog with a brillo pad hat on it to clear the windscreen. (probably just an ice scraper.)

So I'm looking at
1) Special glass polishing compound and a drill attachement.
2) Stone chip repair resin and an applicator.
3) Brick and doing an insurance job!

I wonder which will work best. Are there any polishing compounds out there that will do what I need it to, remove the light scratches and scuffs?

I have a lot of minor scratches in the windscreen on my new car that i'd like to remove.

I think the previous owner must have used a hedgehog with a brillo pad hat on it to clear the windscreen. (probably just an ice scraper.)

So I'm looking at

I wonder which will work best. Are there any polishing compounds out there that will do what I need it to, remove the light scratches and scuffs?

OPTION three. and upgrade to heated screen, eliminating the need for an ice scraper....

What you can do on your own is actually clean out the scratches individually, and use option 2 if you feel you can do a good job of it.

Personally I would not go in for option 1 because it needs an expert hand and a novice may leave curves and depressions that will behave like prisms and ruin the screen more dangerous due to refraction.

Even with option 2 you have to be careful.

So the best bet is option 3 as , as per the best of my knowledge, it does not effect the premium next year.( At least with N.U. it doesn't) but make sure they have the replacement in stock or you may-be spending weeks in a windy seat.. ;)

Bear in mind I do not promote or condone fraud.

Don't worry I certainly won't be deliberately breaking the screen myself. I'll just be waiting for that ubiquitous stone chip.

What compound did you use Lutonmatt?

I bought the Janvil kit and used it on my Corvair and BMW. A few cautions:

The Corvair windows I have been working on are tempered. Very hard to effect much change, although I've taken the big scratches to where you can no longer catch your nails in them. That was with the rough compound, finishing with the fine one. Even just taking it down that little, it is easy to distort the view.

On the BMW I did the windshield. 22 years of debris hitting had left it in bad shape with millions of pits. The windshields are not tempered (laminated) so they are softer. Only use the finer compound, LOTS of water spray (two person job) and work until the compound is basically worn out or you will have swirl marks.

If there was a professional here, I'd have left it to them. I have not decided whether I will try to polish out the scratches on my Mini windshield or take it to the glass factory to have a mold made and a new windshield like I did with the Corvair. All the side and rear glass on the Mini is straight, so I'll have the glass place make new pieces copying the old.

So I'm looking at

I use a Makita polisher with a mirka compound head and 3m cutting compound to remove scratches ..if that doesn't work ...get a new screen ;)

Where is PGarner when you need him? He would know what compound to use to get the scratches out.

I have a little patch myself. Where my misses boy tried to clean some bird poop off with a key!!! :sad2::mad:

As you can guess, I was not impressed. But have been assured that they will come out with the right stuff.

Where is PGarner when you need him? He would know what compound to use to get the scratches out.

I have a little patch myself. Where my misses boy tried to clean some bird poop off with a key!!! :sad2::mad:

As you can guess, I was not impressed. But have been assured that they will come out with the right stuff.

If 3m cutting compound wont do it forget it ;)..its very gritty to begin with until mop head breaks it down to a polish..you will need a wax polish and grey mop head to get shine back :bigsmile:

Please refrain from swearing.

[*]We have a strict NO SWIMSUIT NUDITY, no bad language policy (This includes substituting &$£!## into swear words) across the site and wish to keep it family friendly. :rolleyes:

Now I've got past the 10 post ..I can give you guys some real advice on screens ..check out this forum some of the best advice in the world on screen repair http://www.windshield-repair-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=7

I personally use Delta kits which I think is the dogs but I'm biased (but right ! :lol:)

you can use the stuff jewelers use but remember heading the glass up will make it likely to distort or possibly even crack

bbj 3m fast cut might be too heavy for the mitsi paint

and why the hell did you let her loose with a key on it. break a couple of her fingers so she wont do it again

Pit polish seems to be the stuff to use, repairers use it to smooth out the repaired area. Has anyone used Pit Polish? Can you buy it in the UK?

Just make completely sure that they have the alternative in inventory or you may-be investing several weeks in a breezy chair . . . . .

Just an update on this, the whole thing was really labour intensive and I don't think I got a very good finish. If you have a few light scratches then the abrasive paste works ok, if the whole screen is scratched and scuffed you are better off replacing the screen.