Removing locking nuts without key

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
A recently bought Sierra Cosworth came with, what I thought were, 2 locking wheel nut keys. However, when I came to remove a wheel due to a bubbling tyre I realised that they were just sockets. OK for the standard wheel nuts, but not for the locking ones. Borrowed a set of locking nut removing sockets but they are too thick to fit between the nut and the wheel. Photos show the two nuts in question.

Any ideas on how to undo them, apart from trying to weld a socket onto them?

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1267&stc=1&d=1320068094

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1268&stc=1&d=1320068357

Attachments

• locking nuts.jpg
    locking nuts.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 6
  • locking nuts (1).jpg
    locking nuts (1).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 12
Bit of an obvious answer, but have you checked the glove box/spare tyre tray for the codes of the locking nut. Each set of locking nut has an indiviual code that you can enter and order an extra set. Everyone I have had I have kept it with the documents of the car in the glove box.

Yes, but thanks anyway. Seller is convinced that the sockets in the console tray are the correct ones and there is no record of key codes in the docs. Looking like I will have to make the keys :-(

Pop down your local breakers yard, the tyre shops there usually keep a load of spares, it's well worth trying.

Drilling out a few holes in the nut and making a peg that mates with the new holes might work. Weld a spare nut to the locking one?

Or just park it up in a rough area overnight and it will be on bricks with all the wheels removed when you get back to it.

Maybe they were put on to stop you breaking the car :lol:

seriously
Instead of using a key that matched the outside of the nut I managed to remove one by finding something that "locked" inside the wheel nut shape.

Maybe they were put on to stop you breaking the car :lol:

:)

Local tyre garage (Supertyres) reckon they can get them off. Seller is still looking for the keys but if not found by Monday he has agreed to pay for their removal.

Update

On way to Tyre shop to get nuts removed and the tyre burst. As the tyres are low profile I was able to drive very slowly home. Found a mobile tyre company - Hometyre - who were abee to come out within a couple of hours.

1 1/2 hours of sweat and cursing and £120 later all nuts now off. Note to self - next time I buy a car I will check that the correct nut keys come with it!

Agreed. However, in the great scheme of things, it is small beer compared to what a lot of people have to contend with.

Agreed. However, in the great scheme of things, it is small beer compared to what a lot of people have to contend with.

Yeah, tell me about it, I don't get to sleep tonight on my night shift because I have work on. :sad2: How dare they give me work to do on my night shift!! :mad:

Yeah, tell me about it, I don't get to sleep tonight on my night shift because I have work on. :sad2: How dare they give me work to do on my night shift!! :mad:

WHAT? Someone on nights doing some actual work? What is the world coming to?

When up the creek without a paddle, you will pay a lot for one.

Car now usable again. However, even with the sun out all day, the roads are still damp enough to make driving interesting. This car is only for dry sunny days so, as these will be in short supply from now on, I think it is nearly stripping time.

Well, the forecast is for a warm weekend and I need to chack that the replacement tyre is OK...... :)