Remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Can you remember that time when diesel was cheaper to buy than petrol?

What happened! Is it still more cost effective to run a diesel at the higher price?

Yes I am old enough to remember that. ;)

You need to be doing some serious mileage to justify the additional cost of a diesel powered car over the petrol model.

I do remeber those days vividly. But the cars were generally ghastly to drive so I never gave it any thought. I was the original diesel hater!!
Me too, you converted before me to the dark world of Diesels and now I'm there as well now!

Diesel isn't the great economy thing anyway. My BMW 528i was cheaper to run than the Passat 2.0 TDi. BMW was far far far cheaper to service and an added bonus was that it was also faultless, unlike the VW. In fairness the things which have failed are not engine related.

At the Esso garage near Weymouth train station (Dorset) there is maybe 1 or 2 p difference, on Friday the diesel was £1.21.9 petrol just 1 pence lower,

BP Ultimate is good stuff as well. I'm still on the 1:200 JASO FC two-stroke oil blend.
Yes nothing against BP its just that there seem to be more Shell stations in this area and near to where I work.
Do you think Redex diesel treatment is worth looking at?

I have tried the redex diesel treatment and it doesn't seem to do much. Some folks claim that it's less than ideal in VW PD engines. Millers Diesel Ecomax is very good indeed - the performance gains are remarkable