Remap booked!

Welcome to the world of wheelspin in 3rd if it's damp. (;-> Actually that was on my old Bora, the Exeo probably has way better suspension.

Remaps RULE though.

It'll be fine. VW TDi engines are durable in the extreme. Usual rules apply as for ANY car, mapped or standard.

1. Cold start & let it idle for a minute or so before driving off;
2. Don't short change on servicing, oil change every 10,000 miles is a good thing. Use good quality synthetics that meets your car makers specs. I have a liking for Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C3. This will work very well indeed in your Seat, meeting VW 507.00;
3. Don't switch off when the engine has been runing hard. A couple of minutes cool down at idle will preserve things very well.;
4. Don't under-drive and lug it at super low revs. This is very tempting with a remapped diesel but it beats the life out of everything: DMF will suffer, engine oil pump is not giving full pressure at 1200rpm so lubrication will not be optimal etc etc;
5. Get it hot and drive it purposefully. Visit the red line several times a week. The red line simply indicates the upper end of the usable power range of the engine, not accelerated engine wear. Drop into 4th at 70-80 mph for a few miles a few times a week, get it breathing. or Third at 70 is going to sit you around 4000-4500 I would imagine - that's good too.

All common sense really but I see so many people lugging 4 cylinder diesels. It's pointless, achieves nothing in terms of economy and detroys engines and transmissions.

You will like the results. I had a 2001/Y Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi done in early 2006. The transformation from a driveable and lively car to one with muscular in gear shove was a delight. You will wind up with midrange torque that won't disgrace a 4 litre petrol V8. Sure, you won't get petrol revability but if you're happy to cave in at 3500-4000rpm and change up you will find a deep seam of usable torque and acceleration.

Give it a couple of hundred miles to settle in too. With mine I found that the midrange response was good from the get go but improved over a couple of weeks of general driving.

As well as servicing on time, I also suggest that you avoid supermarket diesel completely.

I have not bothered with supermarket fuel since 1997-1998 - it's not great stuff at all. With or without a remap you will get far sweeter driving with mainstream branded diesel.

All done! I can't believe the improvement. The throttle responds like its on amphetamines and the speedo just shoots up effortlessly. Best £200 I ever spent.

I didn't get to put car on rollers but the guy says I'm getting around 175-180 BHP and about 290 (ish) lb of torque.

The biggest thing I notice is that the power isn't one big shove, it's spread out nicely. Such a pleasure to drive, I'm so pleased :D

Last edited:
It's a Common rail. The guy who did the map upset me a little by telling me "he's not fond of these set-ups", in regard to DMF and a drive plate. To be honest I didn't totally understand all the jargon but let him waffle on.

DMF (dual mass flywheel) will be fine provided you don't side step the clutch or lug the engine at ridiculously low revs.

The common rail systems are well proven as are the DPF (diesel particulate filters).

Just stick to decent fuel and let it breathe by using the rev range sensibly. This will benefit the (2 way unregulated) catalytic converter, DPF and turbocharger.

There are plenty of chemicals to add to your tank to aid DPF 'hygiene' - the best are cerium based ones such as Wynns Diesel Power 3.

These effectively lower the temperature point at which accumulated soot in the DPF will burn off. First generation DPFs had the cerium additive automatically added to the diesel tank each time you re-fuel. My Peugoet 406 2.2 had this arrangement and the DPF was trouble free. Downside is it costs about eighty quid to get the reservoir replenished every 60,000 miles or so.

I'm glad you're happy with the results, give it a few hundred miles and I think you'll find the torque delivery swells and rounds off a little more. Happy driving!!

Enjoy the power, and in 6 months time you'll want even more and you'll be looking at turbo upgrades! The fact is you currently have a really rapid enjoyable drive. :D

The remap was done by Autotune in Ballymena.

I feel like I've enough power to satisfy my needs at the moment, but you may be right, I've got a taste of the power now and might want more(B)

Thank you so much HDi for taking the time to share your knowledge and advice. I trust I will learn many things from all you guys|B