Torque Cars

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Recommended: Diesel fuel additive BG244K

Discussion in 'Diesel Chat' started by obi_waynne, 19 November 2014.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    The only Diesel engine fuel cleaner I recommend is BG244k - use it once a year and you'll keep your injectors clean and engine in top condition.

See the product description of BG244k & deals and offers here.

I had the full intake clean done on mine and it runs more smoothly, I've lost the lumpy intermittent idle on my 2.0 TDI A3 BKD engine and it pulls better through the rev range.

Aerial Andy944 likes this.
  2. Aerial Andy944

Aerial Andy944 The Torque Meister

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Something else to put on my shopping list along with the oil test kit Oilman was on about other day.

3. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    It even improved further after this first report, the engine now purrs and sounds a lot more regular. Power and economy are noticeably better as well.

4. thexav

thexav The Torque Meister Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    I really rate this stuff as well, it cleared my fathers DPF filter and solved a sticking EGR valve on his car. It probably saved him £100's in bills.

For something so cheap BG244 is well worth a go if you are having any issues with your diesel at all. Put it all in your tank, don't try to skim and spread it over a couple of tankfulls, you need a good strong dose and someone recommended you do short journeys to give it a chance to soak into the carbon then do a brisk motorway run and spell of high RPM driving on the last bit of the tank to clear it all out.

I'll be trying the BG44 petrol stuff soon and will report back when I've done it.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 November 2014
  5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Look forward to the future update buddy.

6. thexav

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    Will do!

7. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Just bought 2 cans. Will try in my Golf GT and Nissan Primastar and report back

Last edited by a moderator: 12 June 2015
  8. andy206

andy206 Road Burner

stoke on trent
    Car:
    Fiesta RS Turbo
    used this on our 206 gti great stuff really rate it

9. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Added to my Golf ten days ago and so far no DPF fault warning in mornings so happy bunny ╮(╯▽╰)╭

10. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    That's good but have you also noticed smoother running/tickover or more power?

11. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Smoother tickover now. The idle did jump up 500rpm for a day until ecu had adjusted itself I suppose. Don't know about more power, still feels like it pulls well and regeneration hasn't kicked in so have full power all the time.

12. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
  13. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Oh and my dpf light has still not come on and all I've done is add this stuff few weeks ago. Recommended by me now

14. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Wynns Diesel Power 3 is good too.

15. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
  16. bax

bax Torque Junkie

Mars
    Car:
    Rexton 270xdi 2005
    how much to use for lets say a full 80 Liter tank ? or should i leave some room for the additive itself ? also what do you think about engine treatment additives ? (the ones you mix with the engine oil )

17. thexav

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    It's about 500 ml so it's ok to add that to a full tank unless you've totally brimmed it. Personally I'd add this before filling up so it mixes well.

I don't think any of the engine oil additives are worth considering. Most just clog the filter with those super slipper particles that are supposed to bond to the engine.

18. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Agreed - leave oil additives alone - end of.

The BG244 stuff is supposedly very good. Wynns Diesel Power 3 is a good cocktail. Not the same as Diesel Clean 3.

19. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    On the bg244 can instructions it says mix with up to 60 litres. Take vehicle for steady run and don't rev hard.
    My dpf light was coming on each morning and 3 garages said it was faulty sensor as limp mode hadn't engaged. 1 can and light has not come on since.
    There are different cleaners on their website for different parts so check what you actually want to do for correct product.

obi_waynne likes this.
  20. thexav

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    There selling that BG248 now is that a replacement for 244 or something else?

21. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 2.0 TDI
    Thats a new one on me, it looks like a different formula and they are still selling both but I'll get back to you on that Xav!

22. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    From what I gather the BG248 is merely a cheaper alternative (About a fiver) to the BG244. Opinion is divided as to it's real performance, but the majority of reviewers still rate the 244 version much higher.

23. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
  24. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I've tried all sorts of stuff over my time with diesel motors. I ran a 406 2.2 HDi between 2005 and 2009), and am now using a Passat 2.0 TDi 170.

In general I think it's better to make gentle use of additives to maintain cleanliness than to dose up hard when you have a problem. As such I cannot vouch for any additive in particular but I do think that decent fuel is a starting point for any car.

What I can say is that I've not yet had an emissions problem with any car of mine. I don't like the word never, nor the word ever, they imply all of eternity: past, present and future.

So I can conclude that additives possibly do work but I have no hard evidence to support this. I can conclude that for me they have certainly done no damage. Note however that I NEVER use engine oil additives.

The interesting one for me is using part synthetic two stroke oil (JASO FC low ash) mixed in with diesel fuel. It's widely discussed on the 'net and I have been adding small doses of 2T oil to my diesel since mid summer last year, so for about 15,000 miles. By low I mean 1:200 or even lower. This certainly quietens down the noisy PD injectors in my Passat and the exhaust now emits no soot at all (this is a non DPF car).

I run it on BP Ultimate most of the time with the occasional half tank of standard diesel just for the hell of it.

I don't use supermarket fuel in any car, it's akin to adding sand to a bechamel sauce in my opinion, less than ideal

25. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    :lol: I absolutely roared out loud when I read that :rofl::rofl: