Recommend a high performance family car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Can you recommend a high performance car that would be suitable for a family?

It would need 4 doors and ideally have a reasonable size boot/trunk!

I was going to suggest an Audi S3 saloon, but Audi reliability satisfaction from JD Power suggests the owners are not happy.

700 series BMW, Equus by Hyundai, CTS-V by Cadillac, Dodge Charger SRT or HellCat if ever allowed in Europe, Chrysler 300 SRT or 300 S and Lexus LS. And the $$$$$ keep going up for Big and Powerful! :(

Last edited:
VW Group cars do seem to be causing quite a lot of concern lately.
I quite agree, they have certainly lost the ball, it's all the little niggly electronic issues, the carbon build up issues and the dreaded DPF filters! I'm thinking twice about sticking with them, reliability is important to me!

DPFs are not a problem if the cars are driven in a DPF friendly fashion. The niggly electronic issues (believe me I've had more than just electronic issues with my Passat) and other issues would be bearable if it wasn't so eye wateringly expensive to fix!!

4 doors? then it has to be an AMG 6.3 followed by a BMW540 :)

BUT will have to win lotto first:(

So we're going for family cars that would require you to sell the family home and sell the family?

They are very nice, almost an EVO in a bigger more sensible body! They are also pretty cheap now!

Funny you should say that Paul, the other day I saw a 63 plate Mondeo hatchback in a soft grey with LED lights front & back with what looked like 18" wheels, it looked quite smart if I do say so myself.

Anything VW Audi related is going to see me running away screaming.

Haha! :lol:

VW have massively gone downhill. My other halfs Beetle is crap.... Poorly made as half of the cabin has fallen apart already, the fuel cap didn't open without the aid of 1p coin and I checked the oil yesterday and its empty! A prompt phonecall to VW to complain and hopefully will be serviced ASAP. I understand new cars burn a little oil as piston rings need to set in, but she has only had 6 months!

What about a nissan stagea (a standard one )

More space than a volvo estate , AWD with sports and snow mode , v6 turbo , tipronic box, with more gadgets than you can shake a stick at.

and you can buy a good one for £5-6 K

In my most recent search for a decent performance family car, I looked at 320 M sports, Audi A4's and Mazda 6's. I found them over-priced for the low spec models. I came across my Seat Exeo (by accident) and took a test drive. I was pleasantly surprised by how solid it felt, and not to mention the massive boot. It was around £3K cheaper than the other mentioned cars and is the full spec version. Definately worth a look.

Compared to the cars I had in the past, yes they are :) . Ive had to find a balance between working to a tight budget but meeting requirements for decent power and size. Maybe I know less about good cars than I thought. I trust that joining this forum will help sort that out.

Compared to the cars I had in the past, yes they are :) . Ive had to find a balance between working to a tight budget but meeting requirements for decent power and size. Maybe I know less about good cars than I thought. I trust that joining this forum will help sort that out.

Confession 1: I once had a Montego.
Confession 2: I had a second one as well.

They really were BAAAADDD cars.

Welcome to Torque Cars !!

Can't believe no one's said evo's, impretza most M badged bmws and amg mercs these are high performance family cars

Here is a leftfield choice:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503101592351/

Mondeo Mk4 2.5T. My father-in law has one, it is lovely inside and well made with lots of kit.

Same engine as the Focus ST, but detuned a little to get it into the lower £285 tax bracket and not the £400. Tiny intercooler and very conservative engine mapping. Dirt cheap to buy these days as noone wants them.

All it needs is an intercooler upgrade and a remap, say another grand, and you've got a reliable 260bhp family car, should be good for under 7s 0-60 and fast motorway cruising. Fords always handle well too.

And if it's covert sleeper you're after, it's just the job.

LOL - I see claymore beat me to it.