Torque Cars

Rear disc replacement 92 eunos roadster

Discussion in 'MX5/Eunos forums' started by gratz2, 28 March 2011.

1. gratz2

gratz2 Tuner

UK peterborough
    Car:
    Golf V5 auto
    Hi,
    just about to start the above work on a friends car, any pitfalls/common probs I should know about? Would it be best to change wheel bearings at the same time (discs & pads relatively cheap, bearings vv expensive!). All tips/hints/advice gratefully recieved :blink1:

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Shouldn't need to touch the bearings unless they are very worn and there is excessive play or friction in them.

Do you know the bleed sequence for the eunos? Have you done brakes before?

3. gratz2

gratz2 Tuner

UK peterborough
    Car:
    Golf V5 auto
    Hi, thanks for the reply, yes I have done brakes before but not on a eunos - having explored it further it seems that the discs are a lot easier to replace than on my golf where the bearings are pressed in (when I did mine i replaced the lot as it is easier). Any advice re: bleed sequence gratefully recieved! Also, have I got it right that the discs are seperate frome the hub? It looks as though they are on the drawings I have seen...

4. herb

herb modherbrator Moderator

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    Not sure why waynne mentioned bleeding sequence if you are just changing the disks and pads?
    If you have done them before the only thing you need to check before you start is if the piston just a push back 1 or if will you need a rewind tool;)

5. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    That can sometime cause airlocks Herb.
    When I changed the disks and pads on the Primera I had to bleed the system up cause I lost fluid pushing the piston back in.;)

6. herb

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    Thats a new one on me!
    And i've done numerous disc and pad changes over the years.
    Are you sure you didn't have air in the system already?

7. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Yep brakes worked fine.
    It was cause I had the reservoir cap off and the pads where down to metal so the pistons had a long way to go back.

8. herb

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    Unless one of the pistons came out? I really cant see how air got into your system!

9. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    When I pressed the piston back in it pushed fluid out of the reservoir quite violently which would of sucked a few air bubble back in after I released the piston. Doing this on both front brakes lost enough fluid for me to have to bleed the system when I topped it back up.

10. herb

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    Did you use a jack hammer to push the piston in:)

11. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    No and the strangest thing was they were the screw in type. They where the worst brakes i've ever serviced. Had more problems with them.

12. gratz2

gratz2 Tuner

UK peterborough
    Car:
    Golf V5 auto
    Was actually a lot easier than expected:)
    No problems encountered with pistons/loss of fluid or anything
    Discovered all you need to do is remove 1 bolt from caliper and whole assembly swings up and can be removed, allowing easy removal/refitting of both disc and pads. Thanks for all the advice!

13. bigbadjoe

bigbadjoe Pro Tuner

Elgin - Scotland
    Car:
    Evo 8 @ 400bhp
    I love changing bearings on other peoples cars. Wouldn't do it on my own, incase I fluff it up. But on some of my mates bangers its a good vent for frustration. I love any job that needs a hammer and a flat head screwdriver :bigsmile: