Rear Control Arms

V6 stang

Car
1998 Mustang 232
I just finally got my rear control arms on and man it was a job. I took me a total of five hours to do the job. I ran in to a problem with both lower control arms where the bolt that was going threw the control arm and the rear end was seized up in a metal sleeve. After the first control arm I ended up having too cut the bolt out. After that it was a breeze. Now it drives and handles better that ever.

It's pretty satisfying to have won a fight like that. Congratulations. I'm glad to hear it's improved the car.

Did you have the car on a ramp or just jacked up? Any tips to pass on to the next guy considering this?

The jacked the rear of the car and put it on jack stands at the frame rails. I worked one side at a time so I lowered the driver side by undoing the bolt to the shock. That lets the rear end drop far enough to let the rear spring out. The bolt to the control arm attached to the rear end was seized up in its self. Take a saw-aw and make two cuts. The cuts will be in between the bracket of the rear end and the control arm. The control arm will drop after that and you can unbolt the rest of the control arm, repeat if necessary on the other side. The top control arms should come off with ease.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back