Rallycross

Leon93

Car
Clio mk1
Hi, guys. Pretty new to all this, just so you know.

Recently bought a P reg 1.2 Clio as a first project. Thinking of boosting the power, weight shedding etc, with plans to enter some rallycross events for a bit of fun. I don't really know much about the mechanic side of things, but half the reason I bought the car in the first place was to learn.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thought about forced induction, but not really sure how to go about it.

Hi and welcome |B

You should read the tech section to get a fuller understanding re turboing a NA motor .

Welcome to TC.

Would this be the same engine as in the earlier 5? If so I wouldn't waste time or money on it just keep it fresh and standard to keep it going. If it is the early engine then they were prone to head gasket failure. I had a 5 many years ago as a stop gap, it blew so many times the last time it was driven into a scrapyard and left them the keys! I even looked at an early Clio for one of my daughters until I heard the engine running and looked at the engine too see if my ears were correct, walked away. However if it is to learn from then it'll be a good base for sure. Even the turbocharged 5s had trouble when played with.

With regards Rallycross, is this going to be a trailered car then? You'll be needing to spend time around the circuit to see what others have done and spent to get it right for all track surfaces. Personally I would look at grasstrack racing if you wanted to do something similar, much cheaper to get into and maintain as there are many classes to suit all budgets. A great place to learn from too.

Welcome to TC.

Would this be the same engine as in the earlier 5? If so I wouldn't waste time or money on it just keep it fresh and standard to keep it going. If it is the early engine then they were prone to head gasket failure. I had a 5 many years ago as a stop gap, it blew so many times the last time it was driven into a scrapyard and left them the keys! I even looked at an early Clio for one of my daughters until I heard the engine running and looked at the engine too see if my ears were correct, walked away. However if it is to learn from then it'll be a good base for sure. Even the turbocharged 5s had trouble when played with.

With regards Rallycross, is this going to be a trailered car then? You'll be needing to spend time around the circuit to see what others have done and spent to get it right for all track surfaces. Personally I would look at grasstrack racing if you wanted to do something similar, much cheaper to get into and maintain as there are many classes to suit all budgets. A great place to learn from too.

What are your thoughts on a thicker head gasket then? Increase the volume that way? Alright thanks, I'll look into grass track. I haven't really looked at local venues or anything yet, it's just an idea. And yes it will probably be trailered, hasn't got an MOT or insurance and for some reason it costs me a fortune for Clio insurance.

no these are not the same engines as the 5gtt the gtt was a 1.4 8v pushrod, most the hg failures on them were down to people deciding they wanted to run more than oe boost and not sorting the fuelling properly hence the hg used to pop.

i never had a failure on mine at 23psi for 4 years, its actually pretty much unheard of now as most owners tune them thereselves and there is a heap of knowledge on doing so, ( i actually rebuilt and set up a carb for a 5gtt the other week for someone)

anyway back on topic why not drop an f7p engine in there (1.8 16v) 137bhp as standard and can be turbcharged to some mental figures, i know of a few in r5s running 350-535bhp

no these are not the same engines as the 5gtt the gtt was a 1.4 8v pushrod, most the hg failures on them were down to people deciding they wanted to run more than oe boost and not sorting the fuelling properly hence the hg used to pop.

i never had a failure on mine at 23psi for 4 years, its actually pretty much unheard of now as most owners tune them thereselves and there is a heap of knowledge on doing so, ( i actually rebuilt and set up a carb for a 5gtt the other week for someone)

anyway back on topic why not drop an f7p engine in there (1.8 16v) 137bhp as standard and can be turbcharged to some mental figures, i know of a few in r5s running 350-535bhp
That does sound tempting, how much would I be looking at to buy a f7p?

Hello and a warm but belated (very sorry for my delay) welcome from me the site admin, really good to have you along.

I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do. Please get involved in our many discussions and topics, we love to hear peoples opinions and questions.

An engine swap sounds like a good plan to me.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back