Question which exhaust setup best suits a V8

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
I know this is a random question but which exhaust setup best suits a rover V8 as in single, twin or quad tail pipes??"

I'm just asking as its for a kit car and I'm not limited to space and I want my V8 to sound #!#!#!#!#!#! mental and angry :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The headers are where you should focus your attention.

Bear in mind on a v8 you have 2 banks of 4 rather than just one, so the setups below will be doubled leaving 2 tailpipes except for the last one.

4-1 headers on each side give the most top end power but you'll lose a bit of low down Torque which is probably not an issue on a V8 engine.

4-2-1 headers give the best mid range power and most manufacturers use this setup.

4-2 headers offer greater flow rates at the top end but will need a quad exhaust tail pipe - that's a lot of extra weight and hard to route all those pipes under most cars.

Exhaust design is really complex, angles of bends materials and which ports are twinned in the manifold flow all make a big difference so this is only really general theory.

For a big noise you need a large bore exit pipe so the twin setups tick your box of a nice sound.

I was either looking at 2x 4 into 1 or 2 x 4 into 2 and having quad pipes as I'm after a proper big rumble and and really aggressive sound, I'm not after power or performance but looks and a great sound

You may have to play around with the packing in the silencers to get the sound you want, I would go custom with someone who knows what they are doing, don't forget to explain to him fully what kind of noise your looking for.

Ok will do as this exhaust is for my little v8 trike, I might just go with twin 4 into 2 to give a quad pipe layout, only thing I need to decide is the size of the silencers lol

Last edited:
Have seen one 4-2-1 V8 headers as that is normally the configuration for a 4 cyl street car.
Most V8's are 4-1 IE a single collector for each bank. but am told that the pipes must be merge together under the car before exiting via 2 pipes.

IF you want the best method of joining the runners then use merge collectors not the cheap type collector.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember seeing the merge pipe on a V8 exhaust system made by Magnaflow. It was a tube arrangement which is made in the shape of an "X" unsure of the reasoning behind it if I'm to be honest.

Well I built a set of exhaust manifolds and exhaust system for my bosses chitty chitty bang bang replica, but had to settle on a 4 into 2 into 1 as lack of room, the exhaust is a straight through system with 2" pipes no silencers just a couple of home made baffles in the fish tails

Oops I forgot to take pictures as it was a bit a rush in the end but here's a link to a video so you can hear the finished sound

Hopefully when I do the manifolds for mine I will remember to take some pictures lol

I know this is a random question but which exhaust setup best suits a rover V8 as in single, twin or quad tail pipes??"

I'm just asking as its for a kit car and I'm not limited to space and I want my V8 to sound #!#!#!#!#!#! mental and angry :::::lol:::::

As T9 stated:
Sit with a exhaust expert to discuss ALL your wants versus your needs. The questions you need to ask yourself are: Sound Only? Or low to mid rpm torque versus mid to high rpm? Asking these questions will help determine your direction with any custom exhaust system. Also are you staying with a Normally aspirated motor or supercharging it? Nitrous or water methanol? Look up Zoomers exhaust(one of the loudest!), Corsa exhaust, Magnaflow exhaust, Borla exhaust, Jones exhaust and the many others on you-tube for examples of sound only. You are pretty much in the realm of "What Flavor" do you enjoy? Have FUN! Choosing a exhaust system is NOT easy! |B

Some of these examples for sound only: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+zoomers+exhaust&qpvt=youtube+zoomers+exhaust&FORM=VDRE

Last edited:
Yes, I remember seeing the merge pipe on a V8 exhaust system made by Magnaflow. It was a tube arrangement which is made in the shape of an "X" unsure of the reasoning behind it if I'm to be honest.

The true X cross pipe is for balancing the pulse width modulations of both exhaust banks. It IS the best system compared to h-pipe and straight duals. |B

Hough, Jarrus hit the nail on the head, 4 into 1 headers but they can be bought in kit form & played with to fit, then straight through to a single box on each side about 2-3 feet from the end, but don't forget the crossover pipe to equalize the pressure right & 3" or 3 1/4" pipes, if you can afford it make 'em stainless...

Yes, I agree - but what about the balance pipe that runs in paralell as opposed to an X crossover system. These appear on some of the modern cars, from the factory.?

The mid point X over system is only needed for cross plane V8 motors due to the firing order. Flat plane motors do not need a crossover in the system for the best power output.