Question for OG or any car restorers

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
I want to fabricate or have fabricated a housing for a satnav on the missuses Yaris so she doesnt have to keep taking it on and off the mount.

It would sit on the acres of dash plastic there is, and inside would be the normal mounting which would be screwed into the dash and powered in. I've got something like that in the Focus, where I got an autoelectrician to wire in my TomTom mount to an ignition live and screw it into the dash. My TT is much easier to release from the mount than her Garmin though which is what got me thinking.

I have the idea of a housing that sits on hinges at the back and has a lock catch at the front to keep the satnav secure. If made from the right material and done well I think it could blend in so it doesn't look bad.

So my question is which companies could make me a moulded plastic, or perhaps fireglass, box to measurements I provided? I've read on t'internet about buying your own sheets and heating them in the oven and then pressing onto a wooden mould but it sounds problematic.

Ive never worked with fibreglass, so can't comment on that.

But I have worked with acrylic. Its quite easy if you have a decent selection of tools. Jigsaw, sander or grinder and that should get you started. Drills etc on top.
You can bend it in the oven but it heats up quick and too long and it will bubble and melt.

If you go for sharp corners the best way is to glue it with a glue called tenesol. It melts the acrylic together fusing it rather than just joining.

As for hinges you could use round bar and tube that will allow it to move quite freely.

If you can provide me with a drawing I can look at how is best to make it (with plastics) and advise. Depending on the complexity I may even take it on for you.

Without seeing a design it is difficult to recommend the best method. However, as long as it isn't too complicated, vacuum forming is a pretty good, and fun, way to make items out of plastic. You can get plastic is various thicknesses.

There are many videos on YouTube on how to make a vacuum box etc. Here is one:

Thanks chaps - it's still just in my head at the moment as I'm still pondering if it could be made to look decent and not like some stick-on Halfords special.

I'll mock up a basic drawing to show what I'm thinking of.

Access to a 3D printer could be another option for you.

That would have been my initial option, were it not for my recent research. To get a decent finish without a lot of post print fettling you will have to have access to an expensive machine. However, there are companies out there that will print items for you if you can provide either a 3D drawing or a model they can scan. No idea of cost, however.