Punto 1.4 8v Power Upgrades

RXD

Car
Punto
I have done a bit of research and I would like to know if you guys could provide some feedback on what I manage to gather so far. I have no experience on after market upgrades but I am a quick learner and keen to get my hands dirty!

Shell:
Fiat Punto GBT (62)
Weight: 1025 kg + Brio Pack + Me
Engine:
1.4 (1368 cc)
8v (4 Cylinders)
77 BHP - 115 Nm 85 lb-ft
0-60 mph: 12.8 secs Top Speed: 103 mph

That said, the upgrades...

Stage 0.5

Denso Iridium Spark Plugs Ref: XU22EPR
K&N Air Filter Ref: 33-2931

Question 1. Will this make any different at all what so ever?

Stage 1

40mm Throttle Body - No ref.
Exhaust Manifold (Either ceramic coated or wrapped) - no ref.
15" to 16" alloys (hopefully lighter and cooler breaks?)
30mm Suspension drop (any handling difference?) - no ref.
Remap - No idea where to get one in Scotland.

Question 2. Will the extra room (manifold and throttle body) increase performance or will it decrease it?

Regards,

R.

Well I am no expert on your model car buddy, but the stage 0.5??? :blink:
You may notice a slightly smoother idle/drive if the Denso plugs are gapped and set up correctly. Are you sure they are compatible with your model? Some plugs are extremely fussy as to where they go and some coils and associated hardware may not like the resistance of that model spark plug so double check.

Stage 1, Sometimes a suspension drop can enhance the cars handling slightly but do not expect to be throwing the car into corners at speed with a view of coming out the other side correctly. You may well have to factor in stiffer and lower springs as part of the 30mm drop which depending on the cars current geometry could upset the handling so be prepared for this.
The exhaust manifold I assume to be a 4-2-1 which would need to be coupled up to a decent exhaust system to reap a bit more of the benefit. A remap can be had by a number of tuning companies who advertise here on TorqueCars so this is not a problem but could be an issue for an engine as small as yours.

Hopefully somebody will be along in a while who knows different and can throw some valuable information your way, but for me, bottom line, for a 1.4 8 valve engine I would just enjoy your car for what it is buddy, a stop gap to something bigger - better - and is more tuner friendly! :)

Thank you for your quick response :), Stage .5 is just what I though I call the preparation work before doing anything particularly difficulty LOL!

The denso plugs are an example of what I have in mind, I don't know whether they'll fit or not but I appreciate as you said, they will perhaps provide a better combustion/idle/drive so I'm happy with that. As for the suspension your are absolutely right I forgot to mention a stiffer shocks and suspension, however, I am just trying to reduce the "body roll" as much as possible, perhaps adding a strut brace, but I am yet to find a suspension kit that's not ridiculously expensive that can feature a strut brace at the front (I am still thinking what to do with the back brace...)

While I was typing this I got a phone call from a garage nearby and they will be doing me a quote on the whole exhaust system as a custom job, I will need to take the car over and get some numbers first, hopefully its not too much (I have no idea how much can it be :()

The car is just a stepping stone hence why I haven't bother with anything over the top, I am just looking to get the most out of it as I will be keeping it for at least a year or two while my insurance premium comes down to something reasonable. Once I get there I will probably be looking at some turbo charge engine the new Fiesta ST perhaps? or if everything goes well might even push it to a new Astra VXR :D