Torque Cars

pug 106 engine oil change

Discussion in '106/107/108 forums' started by wolfmankurd, 10 March 2010.

1. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Diesel particle filtration is an exhaust system function, not an oil function.

Castrol Edge is overpriced and it's not a fully synthetic oil. Your friend is wrong, fully synthetic oils are superb and will out perform any blended oil.

The branding in the UK allows an oil to be branded as synthetic when it only contains 5% or more synthetic base stock.

A true synthetic oil will have a polyolester base stock and it is totally incompatible with polyalphaolefin base stock.

Castrol Edge is a blended oil. It's should be fine with your XUD-T engine but you could save money by using Halfords own brand oils. They are very good indeed - all are exxon sprint (Esso) oils. The only reason I didn't use Halfords' is because they didn't offer a low sulfated ash synthetic to suit the DPF in my car.

2. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd Track Warrior

London
    Car:
    Renault Clio 1.2
    not yet, originally they idea was to make sure I could get the housing off before I started the oil change now, it's trying to get at the oil filter before I start the change.

Someone said there was no point chaning the oil if I don't change the filter so I want to get it right :).

On the other hand this process is taking to long so I'll drain the oil tomorrow and try and get at the filter.

edit: haha I completely changed my mine half way through typing this post.

Last edited: 28 March 2010
  3. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Just hand it to local garage and let them get on with the job. Oil changes are messy and time consuming. Bottling and transporting the drained oil is a nightmare.

4. wolfmankurd

London
    Car:
    Renault Clio 1.2
    I am really tempted and I may be what I do in the future. But I would like to do it myself just this once!

Also what does the discerning environmentally concerned DIYist do with they oil? I'm going to have about 3L of the stuff soon.

5. herb

herb modherbrator Moderator

west midlands
    Car:
    Seat Leon Cupra
    i just need to get this right in my head(sorry im tired)
    this is your actual oil filter not a housing for the filter???
    [​IMG]
    and the replacement 1 you got from halfords states on the box its for your car/engine??

6. wolfmankurd

London
    Car:
    Renault Clio 1.2
    No, apparently it is.
    While I assumed the housing just sat over the oil filter. It seems the oil filter is some how stuck inside the housing. ( here is a similar discription and further down you see the answer which I assume applies to me too http://www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=387662).

The box has the code HOF204, and I looked it up form a booklet they had in the aisle. I've also had a look at a spares website (http://www.pugspares.co.uk/products/7/Filters/?model=106&make=Peugeot&q=) which only stocks similar looking oil filters. One of which says it for all 106 derivitives.

But what I saw inside the housing wasn't anything like that, it may be that there is two parts in it. Which I need to lift out.

Tomorrow I'll have a go most likely. If I can't get at the filter I'll post more descriptions and pictures, (in fact even if I can I will so later people can see how to do it).

7. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    speak to real motor factors of even pug themselves itll only cost couple of ££ for the filter .
    least if you go to pug you would be getting the right one hopeully

8. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    I know DPF is to do with the exhaust but you had mentioned it when talking about oil, so oil selection must have a passive affect in it then....

What oil would you suggest then?, I don't buy my oil from halfords, I did look into getting Redline oil which is supposed to be good, but there aren't many people selling "fully synthetic" diesel engine oil

I buy from OPIE oils, and ideally I would use ethier 5w/40 10w/40 or 15w/40

As for the filter I'm stumped, I've no idea what else to suggest, maybe a garage is the best bet then :(

9. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    A 10w/40 semi will be fine with your car. Redline's oils are superb. As are AMSOIL's.

However, a full synthetic will always be better than a blended oil. It will stay in grade much longer because it does not require massive amounts of viscosity modifiers to do, simply because the base stock is more stable.

You can extend oil drain and service intervals with a good synthetic oil, with no detriment to reliability or engine wear.

If I MUST recommend an oil then AMSOILs diesel specific 5w/40 synthetic is the one to have. Guy at Opie will be able to advise further. Please do consult him.

Strangely the DEO formulation also carries a SM rating for petrol, engines.

Last edited: 29 March 2010
  10. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    Thanks chap :)

11. wolfmankurd

London
    Car:
    Renault Clio 1.2
    Okay so what I have gleaned is that some 106 models use a catridge style oil filter. where the pole /plunger thing needs to be renewed as does the filter.

To remove the housing it takes a 23mm hexagonal socket.

And the sump plug uses a square section socket(not that this was a secret!)

12. Nick88

Nick88 Full member

Gt. Yarmouth
    Car:
    R53 Cooper S
    What you have there is a filter housing with the filter inside! You need a 32mm socket to get it off!

You have the new style oil filter system on your mates car!
    The old system has the metal oil filter like you have picked up from halfrauds!

Pug changed the system to the new style in 2000! good thing is the newer style filter is cheaper and makes changing the filter easier than the old style imo!

Just need that 32mm socket mate!