Proposals for 2 year MOT tests?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think about proposals for an MOT inspection test every 2 years instead of the current annual test. Apparently 30% of cars fail - 15% are due to emissions problems. So theoretically there will be 50% failures on a 2 year check. Is this a good move or will it mean there are a lot of dangerous cars on the road? Would it be better to do 2 year checks for the first 7 years of a cars life then move up to annual checks? Discuss....

I know what you are saying about dangerous cars on the road, but i think 2 years for MOT's are a good idea, but maybe with certain clauses, such as maybe yearly emission checks.
Maybe its because i am aware of things in my car that i feel like this, but i know some people just get into a car and drive it, even if it is falling apart and rattling about them!

No, stick with it annually. Two years is just far too long for people who don't care about their cars to go before something goes seriously wrong and someone ends up dead.

While we're on the subject, i think there should be a three disk system in car windscreens - one for road tax, another for MoT and a third for insurance. That'd make it harder to drive around without either.