Problems with standard suspension

carabageac

Car
Peugeot 206
Hello everybody
I´m not even sure it´s the right forum to post my question, but I´m trying anyway because it looks most of you guys know everything it is to be known about 206. My problem is related with the standard suspension of the 206(1.1, 2001), which seems to be quite weak. The roads here (south Portugal) are not the best, but still, it looks a bit abnormal to take the car for repair every 2 months.
My question is if you guys have any idea how to get a more robust suspension, maybe there are certain parts i have to replace, or maybe there is some compatibility with another model...?
As you can tell, I´m not much of a mechanic either.
Cheers.

Hello mate, and thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I guess that´s the best way to put it. I just want to make sure I can rely on it, even if it happens to have to get over a few bumps.

Cheers.

Now, I realize I made it sound like it´s some piece of crap car. Quite the opposite, Im very happy with it, lots of fun to drive and economical. It´s only the suspension bit that has to be taken care of, and then I´ll have the perfect car for my needs right now.

maybe no the car but the roads over here are in a bad state.

you need to work out what you want something that is going to be good on the poor roads of something that is going to handle well.

unfortunatly unless you live on a track you will struggle to find something that does both

The problem with standard suspension is that it's set up to cater for everyone and anyone who may buy the car. It has to cater for the hot hatch enthusiast who loves chucking the car into every corner and the elderly gentleman who uses it for his weekly run to the shops.

You can strengthen and stiffen the suspension by reinforcing the top mounts, adding strut braces and getting polyurethane bushes. This would stiffen the chassis up quite a bit though so I wouldn't reccommend doing all of this if you have to drive on pot hole ridden roads with speed bumps every few yards. It may also be going to far on a 1.0 litre car (unless you have other plans?).

If it helps though, I plan on doing the above and our roads aren't the best.

Hi guys, many thanks for the replies. Very friendly forum indeed.

I understand, it´s close to impossible to have a car that would satisfy every taste or demand. I was hoping there would be a solution for simply improving the quality of the suspension, either trough modification or replacement of parts.
In all the conversations I had with people that know about cars, and 206´s in particular, I got warned about the problems these models have with the suspension on the roads here, so i guess it´s quite a common issue. And it´s true, with the exception of motorways and national roads, the rest of the road system offers you lots of fun, if you´re into offroad driving.

Thanks again

You can always improve on standard suspension it just depends on what you want. I would personally get a set of coilovers and a front strut brace then see how that feels.

Yep, I think I got the idea. At least I know what to ask for next time I´m taking my 1.1 litre beast to the garage.

Many thanks to everybody, have a good new year.

Hi and welcome.

What parts are actually wearing out? Dampers, ball joints, bushes, or everything?

Welcome mate,

I do know that the 206 is a favoured rally car so I would look into rally car suspension as they use much more robust shock absorbers.