Powerplant options

Car
2003 Elantra GLS
Hello,
My mechanic told me my Elantra's engine needs to be rebuilt. This turn of events has me thinking: it would be a good excuse to upgrade or replace my engine. I have 3 options in mind:

1. rebuild, bore, and boost

2. replace with a tiburon 2.0 with less miles on it, bore and boost

3. replace with either a 2.4 or 2.7 v6 Sonata engine and just bore the intake and exhaust.

The first is the easiest to do, the 2nd would be a choice pretty close to the original engine, and would be an engine having less miles on it. But, as far as a significant hp gain with reliability goes, the last one, as challenging as it may be, is appealing to me the most. AND, the v6 produces around 40 FPT more than the 4cyl options.
The v6 Sonata or even a V6 tiburon swap would net an extra 20+ horses and it will be hauling a lighter frame. Been doing some reading, and the wiring seems to be the biggest challenge.

I'm not sure about the 2.4 option, really, because both the 2.4 and the 2.0 have CLOSE to the same max hp**, BUT it has about 15 more FPT at a lower rpm than the 2.0. This seems to be the most "reasonable" swap option, for that reason.

YES i know there will be re-wiring and possibly re-pinning to be done.
YES I know a different hood or a scoop might be required.
YES I know the transmission has to be on the same side, ideally.
YES I know fabrication to mount the engine in the engine bay will need to be done.
YES I know it will cost money to do it :|
YES I know I need the ECU from the donor vehicle, or a standalone ECU.
YES I know I'll probably need fuel management and/or fuel system upgrade.
YES I know gas mileage might be affected.

I would also consider supercharging the V6 if it's needed. but as long as acceleration and hauling power improve, I'd be happy with that.

So with all of that being stated, which of these options would you go for?

Last edited:
The Hyundai V6 units you mention all feel 'special' in standard tune. Smooth and rev happily all day. I'd go V6 with the larger 2.7 and change nothing at all unless you really are craving monstrous torque.

If you are craving monstrous torque then change the whole car and get something with a turbocharged common rail diesel powerplant.

That's what I'm thinking.
I'm not interested in drag or street racing. I'd like quicker acceleration, more low-end power, and more torque, So I can get going in, through, and out of traffic more efficiently, but at the same time, need it to be as reliable as possible. Building a boosted engine PLUS maintaining it, seems like more trouble and more costly to me. And if anyone says I'm being "chicken", most likely they're the same ones who are too "chicken" to do a naturally aspirated 4cyl-to-V6 engine swap. :|
A more commonly suggested swap among 2gen elantra enthusiasts here is an Evo 4-9 or Eclipse engine, which is close to the 1st gen engine, but I don't want an older engine. If I wanted an evo, I'd BUY an Evo4 (I'm an Evo4 fan). The elantra's what I have NOW, and honestly buying an evo would be more expensive than the swap!

I like my elantra. Slow to go, but smooth. I want same manufacturer, newer engine, less miles, more "organic" power for get-go and haulin', with SC induction being the only forced-induction option. Bore the intake and exhaust. Fuel management piggyback system if needed. Done.
The 2.4 inline 4 and the 2.7 delta V6 are the options I'm looking at the most. There are plenty of rear-ended and t-boned 2.4 and v6 sonatas in my area, but I believe the 2.7 would be the icing on the cake.
I'm having trouble finding anyone who's done the 2.4 sonata swap. Anyone know of anyone doing it?

For what you say you want I would go for a Supercharger.
No lag and instant response FTW

Did some shopping around today. The 2.7 is cheaper to buy than the 2.0 or 2.4 by about $200. If I could buy a donor car at an auction or something like that, I'd have the harnesses, ECU, and engine all at my disposal.