Power lost over the years

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much power do you think a car loses over 10 years and 100,000 miles?

I know it varies but I'd expect a car to lose about 20% of it's power over this time through wear and tear - is this too pessimistic an estimate?

Do diesels lose more power than petrols? What are the design factors that come in to play here rather than the cars life?

If you bought a 10 year old car would you actually expect the power to be the same as a new car? I think most people probably would expect that but it's not realistic IMO.

Cant see why not given my emissions tests a few weeks ago.

With prescriptive maintenance and common sense (ie. no high load, high revving when cold etc); using OEM components and very very importantly, the correct or better than OEM spec oil you can virtually stop engine wear in its tracks. Quality fuel counts too, and the occasional dose of injector cleaner.

I'm on 142,000 miles now and it drives just at it did when I go it with just 64,000 on it.

Tried a few 0-100km/h runs (having calibrated speedo against GPS speed firstly) and I am still around 8 seconds which is what BMW says for this car.

As TN69 says, too many factors to consider to give a one-size-fits-all answer.

I wondered whether a 10-year car can get more power by adding a turbocharger or not? I always heared many people do it for more horse power, and don't know if it is useful for an old car?

Old cars are a bit like old people we/they lose some of their zip.

So, we are looking for an automotive equivalent of sildenafil citrate.

How about lead replacement additive?

Last edited:
I wondered whether a 10-year car can get more power by adding a turbocharger or not? I always heared many people do it for more horse power, and don't know if it is useful for an old car?

Absolutely the last place to put a turbo on -- a tired NA engine

100,000 miles on an engine :lol::lol::lol: I m lucky I get one to last 10,000 but that is what happens when your brain is in your right foot.

Absolutely the last place to put a turbo on -- a tired NA engine

100,000 miles on an engine :lol::lol::lol: I m lucky I get one to last 10,000 but that is what happens when your brain is in your right foot.
Interesting expression, an old engine is an old engine.:toung::toung::toung: