Phsycology of thanking other drivers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The way we thank other drivers for letting us go through tells a lot about our personality:-

Interested to hear your impression on these and any others you think of (keep the gestures friendly though :shock: ).

• Nod - Nervous driver to scared to take hands off the wheel.
    Thumbs up - Younger hot hatch driver who has just taken advantage.
    Full Palm - The older Jaguar driver usually does this.
    Thumb and little finger extended with bend wrist - Gangster tendancies show usually by a wannabee rapper!
    Index finger raised - Usually done when other driver has only just managed to realise he has to give way - a token thanks.
    Index and first finger raised. - Bit PAPAL this one again typically done by the older driver in a Mercedes who actually owns the road you are on!
    Both Hands wave - Muppet style thanks - you recognised the other driver and they are oblivious to who you are. (This one is fun to do to see the reaction.)
    Flash of the lights - All social interaction is shunned by these loners - all their holiday pics are of scenes with no people in them.
    V Sign (backwards) - Churchill style Victory salute 'cos you won the game of chicken.

Hiya

Driving a Trooper, i get most drivers giving way to me, so i tend to give a full hand wave, but i really need to try the muppet wave! Sounds fab, maybe i could sing pretend to be the chef while waving.....hurdy gurdy Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue, Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn børk! børk! børk!

Ann

trooper said:
sing pretend to be the chef while waving.....hurdy gurdy Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue, Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn børk! børk! børk!

:lol: Don't think my keyboard even does half of them symbols! It's the mental picture of you throwing vegatables out of the window that gets me.

Waynne, just thought i'd let you know i tried the muppet wave tonight......a word of warning to other drivers, do not try this at home.....the guy i done the muppet wave at was so shocked that he just missed hitting his jag off the railings. :oops:

trooper said:
The guy i done the muppet wave at was so shocked that he just missed hitting his jag off the railings. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: - ROFLMHO

Try it with a hot hatch driver the response it likely to be different. Jag drivers prefer the more formal thankyou responses :!:

You want to try just randomly waving at cars as a pedestrian. I waved at a girl in a mini - she waved back and her boyfriend gave her such a black look. I imagine the conversation went like this "who the hell is that!" , "Umm no one", "but you waved", "never seen him before in my life","but you waved?"......

Waynne i do that all the time and its hilarious they wave then you can see them going who the hell was that.......trooper tried the muppet wave yesterday,great fun. :lol:

I think I have started something here! Maybee we should all have a secret Torquecars wave so we recognise each other when we are out and about! Any suggestions for this one? (Don't make it like the Rimmer salute :D )

A guy flashed all his front lights, dipped fog and side! then hazard lights at me to thank me! Does that mean anything? Was it you?

Nothing to do with thanking other drivers but I was driving in a line of cars and there was a young kid with a toy rifle "picking us off" one at a time as we passed so when it came my turn and he popped me I collapsed over the wheel. You should have seen his face.

A few weeks back I was walking the dog, going over the farm bridge over the bypass and saw a group of kids doing the "blow your horn" signal to the lorry drivers. Took me right back to my childhood and made me smile.

Nothing to do with thanking other drivers but I was driving in a line of cars and there was a young kid with a toy rifle "picking us off" one at a time as we passed so when it came my turn and he popped me I collapsed over the wheel. You should have seen his face.
That's so funny!

A few weeks back I was walking the dog, going over the farm bridge over the bypass and saw a group of kids doing the "blow your horn" signal to the lorry drivers. Took me right back to my childhood and made me smile.
I think we've all done that at some point in our lives.