Peugeot 306 D Turbo S

jackobytes

Car
Corsa C 1.2
Hey everyone, I have been looking at getting my self a Peugeot 306 D Turbo and was wondering what sort of mods I could do to it to get more power from it?

I know that you can fairly easily wind the fuel pumps up to get more diesel into it and also the turbo can be done as well to get higher boost. What else would need to be done and how much do you recon could be had from it?

Thanks, Jack

The XUD-T engines can be modded as you suggest. My suggestion would be go for an HDi model and remap the ECU. Retrofitting an intercooler to the 90bhp model will allow you to tune as if it's a 110bhp in the 406.

130-150bhp is achieveable with well over 200lbft to fling it down the road.

Alternatively - hunt down a 406 with the 2.2 HDi engine. These are sublimely smooth and tune beautifully.

To be fair I like the idea of totally mechanical tuning lol where bolts are moved and stuff like that. Not a fan of electronics after my corsa. I know that they are easier to tune but I have heard lots of bad remap places messing them up and stuff as well :/

Indeed. I had my 406 (2.2 HDi) done by Celtic and it proved to be totally trouble free and sublimely driveable.

Horses for courses I suppose.

You'll certainly get far more shove and far less smoke from a common rail (HDi) engine than from the XUD engine.

I am not a fan of Vauxhall for exactly the reasons you state. Electronic niggles that cost £££s to fix. Don't tar every car with the Corsa brush, electronics are generally far far more reliable than mechanical bits. Renault, Rover and Vauxhall being notable exceptions in my opinion.

Happy hunting !!

Indeed. I had my 406 (2.2 HDi) done by Celtic and it proved to be totally trouble free and sublimely driveable.

Horses for courses I suppose.

You'll certainly get far more shove and far less smoke from a common rail (HDi) engine than from the XUD engine.

I am not a fan of Vauxhall for exactly the reasons you state. Electronic niggles that cost £££s to fix. Don't tar every car with the Corsa brush, electronics are generally far far more reliable than mechanical bits. Renault, Rover and Vauxhall being notable exceptions in my opinion.

Happy hunting !!

Less smoke, definitely.... far more shove, definitely not! way more can be done to an XUD to make it go fast than a HDI and it will cost a hell of a lot less...

Hey everyone, I have been looking at getting my self a Peugeot 306 D Turbo and was wondering what sort of mods I could do to it to get more power from it?

I know that you can fairly easily wind the fuel pumps up to get more diesel into it and also the turbo can be done as well to get higher boost. What else would need to be done and how much do you recon could be had from it?

Thanks, Jack

Depends on how reliable you want it to be, is more to the point and how handy you are with the spanners,

Bosch injector pump is a must, dturbo s' were made around 1998-1999 if I recall and then would have had the Lucas pump, best thing is to buy a complete bosch system which would include, the pump itself, the individual injector lines and the injectors, can be a bit of a pain to swap over as you have to undo the cambelt,
then another thing that is done is to modify the governor spring and change the distributor head out inside the pump, again, can be easily done at home with a decent tool set and some ingenuity, turbo is next on the list and theres no direct swap that can be used so you have 3 options, 1) get a hybrid turbo made, costing anywhere from £500-700 quid depending on what you want, so expensive but you end up with a turbo with new internals and a warranty...
2) tubular manifold and any other turbo, sizing is the thing to think about don't go so large so it's crap all low down but get something that will also take the punishment and won't run out of puff, even though you will be able to find a turbo that will flow the required air there are very few that will do high boost pressures that these engine like....and as for the manifold well it's more money but again a nice bit of kit...
3) the cheap option! just make an adaptor plate to fit another turbo onto the existing manifold sort out some new oil lines and an exhaust jobs a good un....

I wouldn't recommend going over 30psi on any turbo or you run the risk of throwing a con rod,
2.5" or bigger exhaust is a must....
Bigger intercooler, I advise using a twin pass on there as there is more room down the passenger side of the radiator and this way you can retain the factory air con, also you will have to ditch the factory fans else the intercooler won't fit, slim fans can be bought off ebay for not a lot of money and they're easy to wire in...
inlet manifold, you can make an adaptor for the standard top mount inlet, or use an inlet off a 406, xantia, and fiat scudo peugeot expert, citroen dispatch (for the same era as the 306 it must be a 1.9 td not a 2.0hdi or 2.0 JTD),
or you can use an inlet of the 1.9 non turbo diesel, if you go this route then it must be off a an xud engine not the 1.9 DW8 non turbo fitted around the same time as the HDi replaced the XUD,
Camshaft, piper make an upgrade cam for this engine, they aren't worth the time effort or money, they just make less power and make the engine run like crap, it's because piper just through it together an never tested the grind on an engine!
Newmans cams do one which is worth looking into, it's not in the catalogue but if you email them they will be able to help you out

maintenance stuff...

make sure the cooling system isn't leaking and that the radiator is in good nick, i cant stress this enough.... check the thermostat doesn't stick open or closed and flush the system from time to time,

use a good quality engine oil, I used Fuchs Titan Pro S in mine, and I'd got up from a 5w/40 or a 10w/40 to a 10w/50 these engine run hot so the more of everything you through at them the the hotter the engine will be and the thinner the oil will be so in order to make sure you're getting the right lubrication you NEED!!! to have a 10w/50 or even a 10w/60 fully synthetic Like Fuchs Titan Pro S Millers CFS or Redline...

failing that then invest in an oil cooler, few people advertise these online for the turbo diesels but the ones for the GTi6 will also fit exactly the same, as they will fit on all the diesels and larger petrol engine in the peugeot range,

as for power, 200hp and 300lbft is possible on a well maintained stock block while still attaining good fuel economy anything above that then forged con rods will likely be needed and thats when the costs goes up big time....

also to note peugeot/citroen made a bigger XUD to the 1.9 for there bigger cars, of 2.1 litres, also come with 3 valves per cylinder instead of 2 valves these will fit straight in on the 306 mounts and fit up to the gear box and wiring, theres just a few provisions you have to make as well..... believe me I've been there......

Wow such a damn good reply :) I have only just logged back into this website in months and seen this. Makes me want a 306 as a project car now haha :p