Penalty points for using a mobile phone

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
New UK legislation effective from 27 Feb onward means that any person caught using a hand held mobile phone while driving will get a £60 fine and 3 penalty points on their licence (£1000 max fine if it gets taken to court. :shock: )

Do you think this is a good idea? Have you EVER used a hand held phone in a car since the last law was passed where a fine can be applied? What laws apply in other countries? Do you think that using a mobile phone is dangerous? Would you 'shop' another motorist that regularly flouts this law if you had photographs?

my cousin got 2 little accidents while using the car radio...
here in france a woman crashed into a police van at 170km/h while telephoning ..
i guess that mobile telephone dangerosity is relative...
but the fine is not relative but a fact :lol: :lol:

I tried it once after I first passed my test, and didn't like it. I don't think it's possible to drive safely while you've got your phone pressed against your head with one hand, and if that's what it takes to make people not use their phone while driving, then i'm behind it all the way.

Above all else, stay safe. Indicate, don't use your phone while driving, wear your seatbelt, and never, under any circumstances, get in MY car :twisted:

I think thats bang on! I never ever use my phone while driving. If its important they will ring back, and if you must answer it then pull over first.

On a lighter note: Annoy policemen by driving with your TV remote pressed against your ear, and when they pull you over just look at them blankly and say "what?".

Only kiddin. :wink: Just don't do it, its a distraction and is dangerouse!

There was a guy who was booked for "pretending" he was using a plastic toy phone.

I think the law will probably end up being applied to doing anything with your hands, smoking eating etc.. they can all be as dangerous and distracting (or is it?).

A friend of mine used to shave on the way to work in the mornings whilst driving!

She... (only joking :lol: ) He never got caught - it was an electric razor a wet shave would be a bit dangerous.

Can't believe this was discussed back in 2007 and people are still using mobile phones whilst driving in the UK despite bigger fines and penalties and better enforcement.

This is because the fine does not fit the crime! Make it £1000 plus penalty points with zero tolerance and maybe we will start to see a change.

I think it can attract a four figure fine if the circumstances are particularly bad. I don't see the need for specific legislation to be honest, simple Driving Without Due Care & Attention should be sufficient.

A few years ago a driver was challenged by the police and was reported for the using a phone offence. He was actually using a hand held dictation machine. The police said that this was immaterial and that the charge still stood.

The driver challenged it in court and the judge dismissed the case as the driver had not specifically been using a mobile phone.

There another side to the problem, too: I see many people stopped in the most ridiculously silly or plainly dangerous places in order to deal with an incoming call.

Well down here in London Paul the problem is ridiculous I'm afraid. Considering the cost of Bluetooth hands free kits, I see no reason why people cannot buy one. Worse still are the lorry drivers I see with a phone to their ear. What with the huge blind spots for the driver to contend with around his vehicle, a mobile phone up against his ear means that the odds are significantly reduced for someone making it home that day/night without a detour via a hospital or coroners.

Yep, I know. I drive in London regularly. And I have a decent handsfree installation. Public Service passenger vehicle drivers are bad too. My younger son's school bus driver has been suspended after a 14 yr old, who was on the bus at the time, photographed him texting whilst driving !!!

Last edited:
Yep, I know. I drive in London regularly. And I have a decent handsfree installation. Public Service passenger vehicle drivers are bad too. My son's School Bus driver has been suspended after one 14 yr old on the bus photographed him sending SMS text messages whilst driving !!!