Torque Cars

Passat 2.0 TDI turbo change

Discussion in 'Engine questions' started by turboduck, 8 February 2019.

1. turboduck

turboduck Newbie

Norway
    Car:
    Passat B6 2.0 TDI
    Hello

I just bought my first diesel car two months ago, a Passat 2.0 TDI 140 HP PD (BMP engine). I was well aware that the turbo needed replacement soon when i bought it. Therefore i got the car really cheap.

A week ago the turbo started making a new "weak metal scratching sound" and the boost didn't seem to be as it should. Then i got a warning LOW OIL PRESSURE. ENGINE OFF. I stopped the engine immediately, and started it after some minutes. The warning did not show before the RPM's were over 2.500. I then drowe 200m to the gas station and checked if there was enough oil (since i was aware of some oil leaking from the turbo). It seemed like there was a little bit too little oil. I filled up 1/2 litre, and checked it again, still too little. Filled up 1/2 litre more and started the engine. No warning, good i thought.

When i was going to drive to the nearest repair shop, the engine started reving automatically. Since i just read about diesel engine runaway i was fully aware of what was happening. I pulled over and stopped the engine in a matter of seconds. There was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust (burnt oil i suppose).

My question is: Can the low oil pressure warning be caused just by a leaking turbo?

I'm aware that the oil pump in these engines are prone to failure, but i have not heard any sound from it (and i have really sensitive hearing). And since the warning did not show while the car was idling, i suspect that the detected low oil pressure is caused by the turbo leak.

I am going to change the turbo now, but if a defect in the oil pump can be the reason for the low oil pressure, i want to change this at the same time.

Second question: Can i change to a turbo from a 2.0TDI 170 HP engine without any modifications?

Thank you so much for all help!