Particulate filters and FAP Performance gains.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The particulate filter is a stand alone unit. It is located upstream of the cat in the exhaust system and its purpose is to remove soot particles from the gas stream. The cat the proceeds to do its usual job of converting CO to CO2 and is in no way dependent or relied upon by the particulate filter. In diesels the cats are two way devices and run in unregulated mode (ie. no O2 sensor like a petrol car).

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

In my estimation (I have only owned one DPF car) the earlier systems are less troublesome than later ones due to the fact that a fuel borne chemical catalyst is added to the fuel to effectively lower the temperature at which accumulated soot will start to burn off. Downside is that the reservoir has to be replenished every 60,000 miles or so at the cost of about eighty quid. Much cheaper than a new DPF.

With any DPF you must use low ash engine oil to avoid contamination of the filter itself. For VW Group Cars the latest spec is VW 507.00 5w30 which also covers pretty much every model, petrol or diesel. There are some exceptions to this rule - it is not clear [to me] whether 507.00 completely supersedes 505.01, 506.00 and 506.01.

Why do they fit these to cars they seem to be more trouble than they are worth?

Does this problem affect VAG group cars more than others or do all particulate filters cause problems?

Where makers put this filter near the engine there seems to be less problems with it. If it is located part way down the exhaust there is just not the heat there during short journeys to burn off the soot so it clogs.

They are all a pain IMO, I'd rather see them dropped altogether but diesel particles are very harmful to people's health so I can see why they are using them, but as with all new technology it takes time to iron out all of the kinks.

Diesel cars are now frowned on with a passion in Paris France. The government here are also changing their minds about the previously lauded answer to all our motoring prayers.