Part worn or remoulded tyres?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on part worn or remoulded tyres? Our local breakers yard is selling nearly new michelins for around £12 each including fitting.

I can't bring myself to fully trust them though? Am I just being paranoid?

the part worn, if they have say, roughly 3-3.5 mill left (1.6 is minimum legal limit)
i might do it. £12 for michellin pretty good. try some, then take you can out on some roads that you know like the back of your hand, and if something goes wrong you know you will be able to sort it.

try pushing with them on an if you like it, there ya go, got some cheap alternatives.

Not for me, you don't know how they've been treated. Also, you're still paying full price to fit, valve and balance a tyre that's only got a short life left. Surely better to put on something that should last.

What are your thoughts on part worn or remoulded tyres? Our local breakers yard is selling nearly new michelins for around £12 each including fitting.

I can't bring myself to fully trust them though? Am I just being paranoid?

No, you are not, please DONT risk it!!!!!!!!!

Saving a few quid is not worth risking your life for. With only a few square inches in contact with the ground, get the best you can afford (or the best for your car).

You do not know what abuse they have suffered or the internal damage they have incurred. Would you risk a second hand parachute with no history?

Remounds are for slow moving vehicles only, if you value your life. Actually, I didn't realise that you can still get them.

Oh, yeah, finally, DON'T DO IT!

Part worns are different to remoulds. Remoulds are very effective for low speed useage such as plant machinery. I also assume that a carcass presented for remoulding is inspected rigourously so may well be better than a part worn tyre from a scrapped car.

Still not for me though, I'm a bit neurotic about tyres. Some say needlessly so; they may be right but I like the idea of staying in contact with the road surface for as much of the time as possible.

And I don't want to pay a fitter to fit/valve/ balance a tyre that's coming off 1500 miles later because it's worn to the point that I'd change it anyway.

true true, had not thought about those points.

mabye i wont go there :confused:

think i will spend a bit more for them, after all, its only rubber, remoulds could be poor quality and scrub off a lot quicker.

think about a good and bad quality pencil erasure.
one falls apart as soon as it moves on paper, the other actually rubs the damn stuff out.