oil out the dipstick

AJP

Car
Audi A4 1.8T
Hi People nice to meet you all, First time on a forums so go easy,
I have an Audi A4 2001 1.8T
My problem is, I had a broken dipstick which i had replaced by a garage, but now it is blowing oil out the dipstick, any ideas?

Alex from Somerset.

Hi
Are you sure that is the right one, does it fit really tight, is there a tiny gap just by the pull handle where the oil sprays out??
If I understood it right that it sprays from the new dipstick not from the side of the engine...
;)

Last edited:
I was posting earlier when it crashed......anyhoo, if the car has had a recent service and been well topped up and coupled with some hard driving and a poorly fitted replacement stick, then you may get pressure build up. It doesn't take much to push the stick up a little when the engine is pushed under these circumstances. On my last trackday at Goodwood I had the same, recent oil change to the max and some hard laps made the stick move a little, spat some oil out, think the seal is worn. I just cable-tied the stick back and all was well, engine has no issues what so ever. Worth getting the replacement checked to make sure it is the right one for that engine and fit for purpose.

Before inducing panic attacks; Is it the correct dipstick ? Was it a new one ordered for your car using your chassis number from an authorised Audi dealer ? If you have any doubts at all contact your local Audi dealer and buy a genuine one or at least see if it matches the correct one required for your engine. It may well be nothing more sinister than having the wrong dipstick, possibly fitted by a dipstick.

Thanks for all the posts. Ordered a new dipstick from Audi using my chassis number and engine number. Not taking it back to that garage again. did a crap job and charged me alot of money.

Generally positive pressure in the sump blowing oil thru the dipstick and popping it up is from tired engine rings.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back